Windshield Washer Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shibbs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 2, 2010
First off, the essentials -

1982 El Camino Conquista
Cruise, delay wipers, all those goodies.

My windshield washer pump doesn't spray. (No, the hose isn't blocked)
I'm thinking about wiring up an external pump because I got one given to me out of a crashed Lexus. I hear clicking like the factory one wants to trigger when I push the WASHER on the stalk, but it doesn't "spin up" or anything.

What I'm wondering is... What wire would I use for the power wire to the new pump? I want to keep the functionality on the switch just like stock.

e5966072.jpg

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I would say tap into the red " hot" wire and have a good ground point as well........

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
I just fixed mine last weekend and it was doing the same as yours. There is a joint inside the pump housing that allows a pawl grabber to slide back and forth. On mine, the grease was gunked up from being 30 yrs old. I sprayed a dash of Kroil on the joint and in a second it was looser than a hooker and the mechanicals were working again. But, it still wasn't spraying. So, I removed the 4 screws that hold the cover to the pump (where the hoses attach) and inspected the 3 rubber valves and o-rings. They had basically turned into plastic from being so old. So, I bought a $10 repair kit from RockAuto and fixed it. Now, my washer pump works just like it was supposed to.

Shibbs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 2, 2010
Blake442 said:
Bust out your test light and see which wire supplies power to the pump when you hit the switch, and go from there...
I used a voltmeter and nothing got fully "hot" (+12v) only when the switch was on.

Carmangary--- "the joint inside the pump"... How do I access this? Does this involve removing the complete motor/pump assembly? I'd rather not take it out if I don't have to - at least the wipers work now, I'd rather not have that break on me. :lol:

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Why not just change the pump? Even though it makes a clicking noise doesn't mean that it is working, I just replaced mine last week and it made clicking noises like it should work but it didn't. I replaced it and it works fine now, what happens is the motor burns out internally after a while especially when it pumps and you don't have any fluid going through it. Yours is easy to get at it's at the top, my wiper motor is facing down so i had to remove the whole motor to change the pump. Just my opinion.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Shibbs said:
Blake442 said:
Bust out your test light and see which wire supplies power to the pump when you hit the switch, and go from there...
I used a voltmeter and nothing got fully "hot" (+12v) only when the switch was on.

Carmangary--- "the joint inside the pump"... How do I access this? Does this involve removing the complete motor/pump assembly? I'd rather not take it out if I don't have to - at least the wipers work now, I'd rather not have that break on me. :lol:

You have have to remove the black cover and the screws that hold the pump section onto the motor. You don't have to remove the entire wiper motor assembly, I don't think. But, if you do, it isn't too hard. Inside the pump assembly is a large pivot with an arm with a small spring attached. The pivot on mine was too stiff for the spring to move it due to old dried up grease. A shot of lube freed it up. Just pull it apart and take a look and I think it will make sense. There isn't much to it to go wrong.

The same motor that drives your wipers also runs the pump. So, what the poster above saying that the motor might be burnt out doesn't really make sense unless he has a different type of pump. The clicking noise is a good sign. It is the relay that allows a latch to grab a pawl. But, if the pivot is stuck, it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor