heat riser, how do we hook this back up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
i want to put my heat riser back on, it was removed by the previous owner, my main question is where does the vacuum line from the heat riser go? a good explanation and/or pictures would be nice

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
I'm lost. What is a heat riser? :?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The heat riser is old school for the EFE valve. It blocks off one exhaust manifold, forcing hot exhaust through the intake manifold crossover under the carb, heating it up for better vaporisation until the motor gets to operating temperature. It is actuated by a thermal vacuum valve located in the water crossover in the intake manifold and shuts off at around 100*. It looks like this.
imagesqtbnANd9GcRT9U-86kxdFofpXfNS8w2Y_mCesbBWwhNt8U2FDY9opLJegAus6w.jpg
Notice on the thermal vacuum valve a vent port. That is so the EFE retracts when it shuts down. A vacuum hose goes from manifold vacuum to the TVV, then a hose goes to the EFE. Make sure the manifold hose is connected to the port that closes when hot, and the EFE hose is connected to the port that vents.
imagesqtbnANd9GcR1yRtBVpO5ZRgp5Ih-WC9W1vT69TCnHNTEEZ6WIK0WyEr43yC2.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and for those who have not heard of an EFE valve it stands for early fuel evaporation

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
thanks! ill be doing this when i put the engine back in, i know where the tvv is and its still there, only thing is i dont have a efe, gotta get my hands on one of them found one for about $45. figure the engine will run better with everything on it that was suppose to be on it, everythings there for a reason.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Oh yeah. You get WINTER in Wisconsin. A working EFE and Thermac system equal cold weather driveability and quick warm-up. I disable them in summer by simply unhooking and plugging the vacuum lines, but by winter, back they go.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
Bonnewagon said:
Oh yeah. You get WINTER in Wisconsin. A working EFE and Thermac system equal cold weather driveability and quick warm-up. I disable them in summer by simply unhooking and plugging the vacuum lines, but by winter, back they go.
well i dont drive it in the winter so not a big deal but i still drive it in the fall and its pretty cold out then.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
Bonnewagon said:
The heat riser is old school for the EFE valve. It blocks off one exhaust manifold, forcing hot exhaust through the intake manifold crossover under the carb, heating it up for better vaporisation until the motor gets to operating temperature. It is actuated by a thermal vacuum valve located in the water crossover in the intake manifold and shuts off at around 100*. It looks like this.
imagesqtbnANd9GcRT9U-86kxdFofpXfNS8w2Y_mCesbBWwhNt8U2FDY9opLJegAus6w.jpg
Notice on the thermal vacuum valve a vent port. That is so the EFE retracts when it shuts down. A vacuum hose goes from manifold vacuum to the TVV, then a hose goes to the EFE. Make sure the manifold hose is connected to the port that closes when hot, and the EFE hose is connected to the port that vents.
imagesqtbnANd9GcR1yRtBVpO5ZRgp5Ih-WC9W1vT69TCnHNTEEZ6WIK0WyEr43yC2.jpg

ok once again im back to this, well i cant find this TVV, it looks like someone must have removed it... any thoughts to where that should be located and pictures would be nice if anyones got any? i spend hours googling for a picture of it but no luck...

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
I believe it is threaded into your intake manifold. On the passenger side of the thermostat housing. But it definately doesn't thread into the thermostat housing on my motor at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor