My 1987 Turbo T Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
So as you guys know a few months ago I bought a Turbo Buick. It was all I expected but lacked the power of a regular GN. It wouldn't build past 4500 rpm and the car seemed to have a hard time making its way to 4800 too. I'm thinking the cam timing was off. Either way I found a very very good deal on a Built SGI Turbo Buick short block with ported heads, a 206, 206 comps cam roller cam, HarlandSharp rocker arms, a griddle , main caps and ARP studded all the way around it seemed like a better deal then rebuilding mine to stock for about the same price. The man who built the motor has been doing Buick engines for a while so I'm not too worried about the whole Chevy build story. I plan on redoing my front suspension too as i'm replacing the lower control arms , ball joints , upper control arms and springs as well as a jeep steering shaft for the nice response when I turn the wheel. I also have a line on a Terry Huston downpipe as well as a gutted cat and some 3" Dyno max racing bullets. The engine should be good for 700 Horse but, I'm not building it for that much power. I want about 500 to the wheels and I think my goals will be met. I want to keep this car nice on the street as well as fast on the strip.
The old setup with my custom built Cold air

Fbody Rad Conversion

The Engine pull

Engine out

Boat anchor

Cleaned up

Power washed

New engine

A Turbo Regal meet this past summer in Oshawa Ontario Canada.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
So just to get some ideas, What would be the best way to put maybe 4 speakers in the car. Two in the front and two in the back. I'm guessing I cant take out the door panel and replace the concert sound two speakers and button the panels back in place? And place another two speakers above the X braces in the trunk under the 3rd break light? And last but not least I want a stereo that looks old school but has all the new features.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
YGspider said:
So just to get some ideas, What would be the best way to put maybe 4 speakers in the car. Two in the front and two in the back. I'm guessing I cant take out the door panel and replace the concert sound two speakers and button the panels back in place? And place another two speakers above the X braces in the trunk under the 3rd break light? And last but not least I want a stereo that looks old school but has all the new features.

Beautiful T type!!!...I like the color. My take on the stereo thing is that anything but a nice Delco head unit looks like a high school kid hacked up the dash with a cheap plastic POS aftermarket stereo.....While the sound of aftermarket head units can be quite good, you might be surprised how good a 1987 Delco stereo can sound with good speakers and quality amplification. I think GM did a great job when they designed the Delco units with EQ and cassette. If you need an aux input for your ipod, it can be added without too much trouble. When I see G bodies at car shows with aftermarket stereo's it makes them look cheap.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
If you're going to have a legitimate 500 horsepower you better turn your attention to the transmission - ask me how I know!

the ghoul

Master Mechanic
Dec 18, 2012
WOW
Very very clean!!

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
LS1GN said:
If you're going to have a legitimate 500 horsepower you better turn your attention to the transmission - ask me how I know!

Yeh, I have it out getting built up by the best local 200r4 Builder I could find. I told him to build it up properly and told him my rough estimate for my power.

And thanks Goul.

the ghoul

Master Mechanic
Dec 18, 2012
I never would have guessed that the 200r4 could be built that stout!
when I was growing up the metric transmissions were just boat anchors!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
The 2004R's have a good deal of aftermarket support, and can handle some power.

Looking good and keep up the progress, w/pics! :D

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
500HP is asking a lot out of the 200r4 But with this build, I mostly want to cruise to car shows and maybe bring it to the track once or twice a summer. I know its a lot of power for just cruising but the engine was a really good deal. I could of basically rebuilt a stock motor for the price of this well built engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor