B&M mega shifter install

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmangaggift

Greasemonkey
Jun 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC Canada
I found a wicked deal on a mega shifter and have wanted one for a while but refuse to pay 110 bucks to have it installed. Ive been told its a easy install but i got no idea how to lol. Any one have any advice or maybe a how to list?
Thanks alot!

Crazcnuk

Apprentice
Aug 26, 2011
Hinton, AB
snowmangaggift said:
I found a wicked deal on a mega shifter and have wanted one for a while but refuse to pay 110 bucks to have it installed. Ive been told its a easy install but i got no idea how to lol. Any one have any advice or maybe a how to list?
Thanks alot!

It is pretty easy. You have to remove the column shift linkage and wire the part where the linkage hooks up under the hood (to the column) so that it can't move.

Remove the old shifter arm.

Cut a hole in the tunnel, the kit tells you where, then hook up the new cable and bracket to the transmission.

The megashifter boot does not work if you have a console. You will have to improvise there.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Crazcnuk said:
You have to remove the column shift linkage and wire the part where the linkage hooks up under the hood (to the column) so that it can't move.

NO!!!!!!!

People, stop doing this!!! YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE IT!!! KEEP IT IN PLACE!!!
That linkage controls your reverse lights and mechanical neutral safety interlock.

If you leave it intact, you won't have to post 5000 threads about how to fix and re-wire your lights and safety switch... :roll:

Just bolt the stock shifter arm bracket on top of the B&M bracket. Done. It's THAT easy!
They suggest welding it for additional strength, but it's not necessary from my experience...
It's all included in the supplied instructions with the shifter.

And Crazcnuk, this is not aimed at you personally, so please don't be offended... 8)
I've seen it from dozens upon dozens of people over the course of time... I can't take it anymore! :lol:

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
listen to what he says. i removed mine, never got around to butchering the harness to hook up neutral safety (mechanical interlock) and reverse lights. managed to lose my linkage and shift bracket, well guess what, i had to source replacement and am going about doing it blakes way. dont question it just do it. been there done that do it right.

snowmangaggift

Greasemonkey
Jun 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC Canada
Blake442 said:
Crazcnuk said:
You have to remove the column shift linkage and wire the part where the linkage hooks up under the hood (to the column) so that it can't move.
thank you sir! i appreciate the comment, i would have done that and screwed everything up lol
NO!!!!!!!

That linkage controls your reverse lights and mechanical neutral safety interlock.

If you leave it intact, you won't have to post 5000 threads about how to fix and re-wire your lights and safety switch... :roll:

Just bolt the stock shifter arm bracket on top of the B&M bracket. Done. It's THAT easy!
They suggest welding it for additional strength, but it's not necessary from my experience...

And Crazcnuk, this is not aimed at you personally, so please don't be offended... 8)
I've seen it from dozens upon dozens of people over the course of time... I can't take it anymore! :lol:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm also guilty about losing the linkage from the column to the transmission. :oops: when I put my Hurst V-matic shifter in. I spliced into the wiring for the neutral safety switch and back up lights...and locked the column in park position with a bracket attached to the firewall.
It works fine, except that I shouldn't have ever hacked into the factory wiring. I think I will also go back and redo it.
I assumed having the contact switches for the reverse light and neutral safety switch included with the new shifter, that that was the way it should be done. The extra linkage I thought, would just make the shifter more cumbersome to use.

You learn something new everyday..*groan*

Listen to these guys. Do it right, you won't regret it.

lildudefl

Master Mechanic
Aug 25, 2011
Las Vegas (Cali at Heart)
Would i still wanna leave all the old stuff in place if in replacing the steering column and trans? Meaning im getting a floor shift column and shitching to a 200-4r trans

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Even manual columns use the linkage because our cats have a mechanical interlocking neutral safety. Well at least floor shift cars did and I figure they have the same column

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
NO!!!!!!!

I totally agree It can be dangerous, also Your car could start in gear and injure someone. leave the mechanical linkage alone
Unhooking it will just cause you more problems.

els-

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 5, 2011
Most of the b&m shifters have micro switches installed on them for the reverse lights and the neutral switch....

That stupid linkage hit my headers and would go into park and reverse thats it. I have both wired up and its fine and not very hard todo at all.

I guess out of simplicity leave it in if you dont want to run a couple wires, or if you have problems with it hitting then take it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor