B&M mega shifter install

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmangaggift

Greasemonkey
Jun 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC Canada
So if all I have to do is change the shifter pretty much, what does this new shifter do? Lol sorry I'm still new to this. Can't I do what this shifter does already with my stock shifter? Cause doesn't it just allow ou to change gears manually? What other pros are there to putting this in?
Thanks!

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
I totally agree It can be dangerous, also Your car could start in gear and injure someone. leave the mechanical linkage alone
Unhooking it will just cause you more problems.

I dont have an aftermarket shifter, but the linkage to the column is unhooked. It looks like the headers were in the way, but Mine did start in gear. It was in reverse and my two kids were playin behind it a few minutes prior. It could've been bad. also the previous owner broke the shifter so it doesn't stay in the gear you put it in. Definitely make sure to do it so its safe.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
snowmangaggift said:
So if all I have to do is change the shifter pretty much, what does this new shifter do? Lol sorry I'm still new to this. Can't I do what this shifter does already with my stock shifter? Cause doesn't it just allow ou to change gears manually? What other pros are there to putting this in?
Thanks!

the aftermarket shifter has neutral lockout, rachet shifting and looks good. those are your benefits. other than that there pointless. for a street ride only it mainly comes down to looks.

81GrandPrix383

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I'm going to bring this old thread back from the dead thanks to the search function.

I have my B&M installed, mechanical shift linkage long gone, neutral safety wired and working and I'm stuck on the reverse lights wiring.
I found a light green wire that runs to the lights so I figure this is part of what I need. I read that I need a dark blue wire that runs to the mechanical switch on the column but I don't know how to be sure I have the right wire. I cant put the car in reverse with the column because I have it locked in place with my tach.
Do I need this blue wire or can I use another that is easier to locate? What wire have people used for their reverse lights, I guess for power?

Thanks in advance.

81GrandPrix383

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I think I figured it out from my desk at work so i haven't been back to the car yet.
I need to find the mechanical switch on the steering column.
I found a picture of one so now I know what it looks like and what I am looking for.
Once I find this, I should be able to locate this dark blue wire.

Any advice is still welcome. (like where on the column this gear selector switch is)
Thanks.

81GrandPrix383

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
81GrandPrix383 said:
I think I figured it out from my desk at work so i haven't been back to the car yet.
I need to find the mechanical switch on the steering column.
I found a picture of one so now I know what it looks like and what I am looking for.
Once I find this, I should be able to locate this dark blue wire.

Any advice is still welcome. (like where on the column this gear selector switch is)
Thanks.

Someone must have something to say...

I found the blue and green wires where they go into the gear selector thing on the column, ran them to my switch on my aftermarket shifter and the car still has no reverse lights.
It also starts in any gear.....WTF?
I know I have the right wires. Time to check the ground on the reverse lights and make sure the wire is intact from the dash to the lights.
I even disconnected all the other wires from the gear selector switch on the column and the thing still starts in any gear....This doesn't make sense to me. What did the last owner of this car do to the wiring?

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
you could just leave the factory gear selector and linkage in place and it will work just fine. now wiring needed

81GrandPrix383

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
mebe007 said:
you could just leave the factory gear selector and linkage in place and it will work just fine. now wiring needed
Thanks for reading my previous posts where I state that it is too late to do this.
The more I think about this I blame the previous owner of the car. He had a b&m shifter installed which he removed when he sold me the car. Who knows what funky wiring he has set up.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Well if you want to it the simple way I have a mechanical linkage or 2 ill sell.

81GrandPrix383

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
mebe007 said:
Well if you want to it the simple way I have a mechanical linkage or 2 ill sell.
Thanks for the offer friend but from what I have read the linkage won't work with my headers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor