Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
81GrandPrix383 said:
mebe007 said:
Well if you want to it the simple way I have a mechanical linkage or 2 ill sell.
Thanks for the offer friend but from what I have read the linkage won't work with my headers.

cleared my hooker headers wonderfully. i was just throwing it out there. i dont run any wires i dont have to.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Blake442 said:
Crazcnuk said:
You have to remove the column shift linkage and wire the part where the linkage hooks up under the hood (to the column) so that it can't move.

NO!!!!!!!

People, stop doing this!!! YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE IT!!! KEEP IT IN PLACE!!!
That linkage controls your reverse lights and mechanical neutral safety interlock.

If you leave it intact, you won't have to post 5000 threads about how to fix and re-wire your lights and safety switch... :roll:

Just bolt the stock shifter arm bracket on top of the B&M bracket. Done. It's THAT easy!
They suggest welding it for additional strength, but it's not necessary from my experience...
It's all included in the supplied instructions with the shifter.

X10 do it right
And Crazcnuk, this is not aimed at you personally, so please don't be offended... 8)
I've seen it from dozens upon dozens of people over the course of time... I can't take it anymore! :lol:

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
81GrandPrix383 said:
81GrandPrix383 said:
I think I figured it out from my desk at work so i haven't been back to the car yet.
I need to find the mechanical switch on the steering column.
I found a picture of one so now I know what it looks like and what I am looking for.
Once I find this, I should be able to locate this dark blue wire.

Any advice is still welcome. (like where on the column this gear selector switch is)
Thanks.

Someone must have something to say...

I found the blue and green wires where they go into the gear selector thing on the column, ran them to my switch on my aftermarket shifter and the car still has no reverse lights.
It also starts in any gear.....WTF?
I know I have the right wires. Time to check the ground on the reverse lights and make sure the wire is intact from the dash to the lights.
I even disconnected all the other wires from the gear selector switch on the column and the thing still starts in any gear....This doesn't make sense to me. What did the last owner of this car do to the wiring?

The reason the car starts in any gear is because of the ignition interlock built into the column. Your column is locked in the park position so the neutral safety switch thinks the car is in park all the time allowing it to start in gear.
The nuetral switch controls whether the car can start in only P & N as well as activating your reverse lights. If you want the reverse lights to work with your shifter you will need to reach up on top of the column and pop off the neutral saftey switch and tap into the wires there. Then you just have to deal with the fact the car will start in any gear. I know you said the linkage is missing but it may be worth sourcing a replacement and finding some other way to mount your tach so everything works the way it should without tapping into anything

81GrandPrix383

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
So I got the reverse lights working. I had the wires you were talking about and spent about 3 hours troubleshooting. Problem was in the bulbs and sockets.
With the neutral safety..... I also pulled the rest of the wires off the top of the steering column so the connection there shouldn't be working. The car shouldn't start at all. I also ran the purple wire that runs to my starter to the switch on the shifter. If the switches is not closed power should not go to my starter but it does. I will figure it out. Maybe the switch needs to be adjusted and it is always closed. no biggie.
My new issue is that I can't get my back bumper off. Three bolts left and they just spin. All the rest are off.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor