OLDS 12SI alternator on Amazon

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Hoping that this alternator is all it seems to be hyped up to be.

I got it to put in the silver car since I have Derale electric fans that use a shiitload of current. Has anyone bought one of these?

1693410881926.png

It looks nice though.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
So is this the 140 amp version that you don't have to get the wiring adapter for and change the pulley like you do on the later 140 amp ones? I was getting ready to buy those so this looks like it may be a much better solution. If it works of course.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
So is this the 140 amp version that you don't have to get the wiring adapter for and change the pulley like you do on the later 140 amp ones? I was getting ready to buy those so this looks like it may be a much better solution. If it works of course.
It looks like it would work as is. The connector is just like the original one in the silver car and the pulley is like the original alternator.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Run a good 6ga wire for your charging wire to the batt. and the same or larger gauge ground wire from the back of the case to the block or frame ground wire connections.

Remember, Alternators produce positive AND negative power. A good ground keeps the heat down and helps out the windings and bearings.

Hutch

Reactions: 2 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Yes, what Hutch said. Normally, the ground return to the alternator is through the case of the alternator that is bolted to the block that has a big negative return ground wire to it. Then a coupla wire braids from the block to the body/chassis. Make sure that this big negative return from the block goes straight back to the battery.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Should work better than the stick alternator. I’m not a fan of the one wire alternator, I went with the CS 130 off the 89 Cadillac that had the 307, and the adapter harness. I have dual electric fans too, works well

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor