BUICK 1964 Skylark Coupe Project

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
These are hand-formed, not stamped. They were made in Canada.
Which is also no guarantee of quality either. The price of quality made stampings and pressings is high because the cost to fabricate the dies to the standard of the original factory pieces is high in itself and while the factory may not make them any longer, they may still hold patents or copyrights on them and demand a "production fee" for allowing a non factory manufacturer to produce them. If someone up here is attempting to reproduce that panel, they might be having to deal with worn out dies or poor quality control by the production facility. Not offering excuses here, just a fast run down reality road.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Which is also no guarantee of quality either. The price of quality made stampings and pressings is high because the cost to fabricate the dies to the standard of the original factory pieces is high in itself and while the factory may not make them any longer, they may still hold patents or copyrights on them and demand a "production fee" for allowing a non factory manufacturer to produce them. If someone up here is attempting to reproduce that panel, they might be having to deal with worn out dies or poor quality control by the production facility. Not offering excuses here, just a fast run down reality road.

Nick
I understand all that, but it doesn't help my situation any. When you buy patch panels it's not unrealistic to expect them to fit. The trunk filler panel I got fits like a glove.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Began fitting up the arch panel today. Have it roughly cut to size. After trimming it down some, I think I should be able to make it work just fine. I'm not sure where I'm going to join the two patch panels as they overlap and the overlap area needs replaced. Just something I'll have to figure out as I go. Still not sure if I'm going to butt weld or lap it in.
20240501_134033.jpg
20240501_134040.jpg
20240501_134526.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Began fitting up the arch panel today. Have it roughly cut to size. After trimming it down some, I think I should be able to make it work just fine. I'm not sure where I'm going to join the two patch panels as they overlap and the overlap area needs replaced. Just something I'll have to figure out as I go. Still not sure if I'm going to butt weld or lap it in.
View attachment 238823 View attachment 238824 View attachment 238826

Butt welding definitely takes a little more time and effort, but the end result will be much nicer and won’t create a dirt and water trap for rust to develop. I would strongly recommend it over lap welding. The longevity of the repair will last much longer as well.

Just my $0.02.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Also looks like you might have a little work to do to the inner wheelhouse first too. How bad is the corrosion damage to it? I can see what looks like at least a couple pinholes in the pictures.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
A skilled welder could warp that arch right into place. Just crank up the heat. You up for the challenge?

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Butt welding definitely takes a little more time and effort, but the end result will be much nicer and won’t create a dirt and water trap for rust to develop. I would strongly recommend it over lap welding. The longevity of the repair will last much longer as well.

Just my $0.02.
Butt welding is always preferred but because of this patch panel being a less than ideal fit, lapping might be the way to go. But It's kind of something I'll have to see as I go.
Also looks like you might have a little work to do to the inner wheelhouse first too. How bad is the corrosion damage to it? I can see what looks like at least a couple pinholes in the pictures.
Stop finding more work for me! Yes there are some small pinholes, you can see them better in this picture. Nothing I'm too concerned about. Once I get it blasted I'll come up with a plan on how to handle it.
20240501_134045.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
This oughta fill in those unsightly gaps.

View attachment 238885
winter traction rating 80%

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor