1980 Cutlass project from Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
Pasikiainen said:
Dammn, how should waterpump on a wiper motor works? Wiper motor itself works pretty fine, but when u push the wash, I can hear a "CLICK"noise, but it doesnt spray water.

not sure if you fixed this yet, but i just stumbled across your build and i must say YOUR GBODY IS LOOKING BADASS... and i had the same problem with mine and about a month later the wiper motor stopped working n just started making the same clicking sound... after a while of messing with it, swapping motors, and busting my knuckles, i found the gbody wipers have a ground built into one of the mount screw holes. i ran an extra ground wire just to test if that was the problem and it was, so CHECK YOUR GROUND WIRE...

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Regarding your rear coils: There are rubber isolators between the frame and spring. Could one of them have fallen out or been damaged? Rockauto.com sells new ones from Moog and others.

As to your transmission crossmember, could your car have come with a V6? Both V6 cars I have worked on came with those rubber dampers on each end. The crossmember ends have holes about 1.5 cm so the rubber goes all the way through. V8 crossmembers bolt metal-to-metal through a bolt-sized hole into the frame. I think your design was supposed to damp the extra vibrations the V6 makes in order to make the car quieter. Just curious if your VIN has a 'K' or '9' for the fifth digit (3.8L Buick, 3.8L Chevy). Or, was it a diesel?

Pasikiainen

Master Mechanic
Mar 12, 2014
It used to be diesel.

And those isolators between frame and springs are there, they're polyurethane but anyway :) Should there be isolators between spring and rear end?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Here is a picture. They go on top of the spring. May or may not be the cause of your problem.

Attachments

• Isolator.JPG
    Isolator.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 505

Pasikiainen

Master Mechanic
Mar 12, 2014
Yeah, those are in place. So it's not the problem :)

oldsi%2B001.JPG

These just came from The States 8) This weekend i'm hoping to make them fit my exhaust system.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Your build is really cool. It's very authentic to g-bodies I see here in Indiana and nearby Michigan. The only thing I don't like is your idea to use eibach springs and put in 'spring helpers' to prevent the car from bottoming out. I think most anyone would agree that it would be better to just use regular moog springs and therefore not need spring helpers which would kind of ruin the ride quality w eibach springs which is a smaller spring to begin with. If your car already is kind of loose and you suspect adding the eibach springs would cause it to hit the tires than it would be better to just not force the installation of the (already more expensive to begin with) part. Moog springs are much cheaper overall. In my area the roads are terrible in certain areas so we use regular or hd springs and some people use spring helpers but myself and some others disbelieve in spring helpers and we don't use them because they are more typically used by cheap landscaping companies trying to get the most out of their rusty springs before the season ends. When you install a spring helper on a brand new spring that's already 'tighter' than the stock design, you could be defeating the purpose of installing the eibach spring to begin with by ruining it's shock rate is what I'm trying to say, I guess. lol

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I think maybe I mis understood what you were going to do w the air shocks from summit on page 5^. I still stick with my premise that you should take all that stuff off and just go w/ regular springs. I have seen lots of people install / uninstall those cheap air spring kits after only a few years b/c they suck *ss and often fail. They are cheap for a reason. If you use regular springs I bet anything your handling would feel the same / or better and you would spend less money for better results... I know plenty of people with 4 door gbodies and nobody is running eibach springs for a reason.

Pasikiainen

Master Mechanic
Mar 12, 2014
Started fitting the headers. Got them in place, fits pretty nice! Driver side is pretty tight, steering shaft comes pretty close, about 5mm, I think it will be enough. The frame is also pretty close but it will clear. Passenger side fits perfectly :) Couple of photos.

oldsi%2B004.JPG

oldsi%2B003.JPG

oldsi%2B002.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor