1980 Malibu Wagon Build Starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
Hey malibuwagon looks like you are off to a good start even with the interior hiccup. Which leads me to my question. I was looking at the photo where you point out the "Really Nice Floor". I could help but notice you have all the seat mounts for bucket seats. Not sure if you installed them, because it looked like you HAD a bench seat before the interior was out. It would be nice to not have to weld in the extra mounts if you were going to bucket seats like I am. So please let me know if they were there origionaly or not . Thanks

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
nawlins-tim said:
Hey malibuwagon looks like you are off to a good start even with the interior hiccup. Which leads me to my question. I was looking at the photo where you point out the "Really Nice Floor". I could help but notice you have all the seat mounts for bucket seats. Not sure if you installed them, because it looked like you HAD a bench seat before the interior was out. It would be nice to not have to weld in the extra mounts if you were going to bucket seats like I am. So please let me know if they were there origionaly or not . Thanks

his mounts look original. if you notice in the one pic he still has half of the split bench in the car. split benches used the same mounts as bucket seats.

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009
81msw79 said:
nawlins-tim said:

his mounts look original. if you notice in the one pic he still has half of the split bench in the car. split benches used the same mounts as bucket seats.

Correct. car had a factory split bench seat with were the same as the buckets

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009
late post, was able to get the rest of the interior pulled and motor and transmission is out!

Attachments

• rsz_img_5702.jpg
    rsz_img_5702.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 609
  • rsz_img_5704.jpg
    rsz_img_5704.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 608
  • rsz_img_5732.jpg
    rsz_img_5732.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 606

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009
got the new dash in and cleaned up the passenger floor board a little and put some fresh paint done

I have a good set of window channels, can anyone tell me if I have to pull the glass right out of the door to replace them? also in order to pull the glass do I have to drill out the rivets for the window regulator?

Also have the rear window channels the same from the 4 door sedans and the wagons, I've read that the little 1/4 windows are different ?????

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6094[1].JPG
    IMG_6094[1].JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 545
  • IMG_6097[1].JPG
    IMG_6097[1].JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 535
  • IMG_6099[1].JPG
    IMG_6099[1].JPG
    882.8 KB · Views: 544

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Kevin,
Regarding the installation of the front door run channels, it would be easier if the glass was removed. However, it could probably be done by loosening the channel and moving the glass to the side.

Does this car have power windows? You don't have to remove any rivets. Lower the bottom glass stop(s) and unbolt the channel for the glass pivot...and one of the vertical channels to remove the glass.

The run channels for the rear glass is slightly different in shape between a 4-dr sedan and a wagon. The vent window shape is different between the two models.

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009
got a chance to work on the car a little this weekend,

Longroof- will the channels for the rear windows from the 4 door work or am I just waisting my time????

Attachments

• IMG_6197[1].JPG
    IMG_6197[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 446
  • IMG_6196[1].JPG
    IMG_6196[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 466

1983mailbuwagon

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2009
***update***

Well its winter here now and snow is here and its cold.

Picked up a 81 Malibu Sedan with a 3.8 and a 3 speed standard set up so it looks like the wagon is going have an extra pedal.

The car was the famous Iraqi Taxi that GM produced special order of 25,500 4 door sedans for Saddam Hussein's Iraqi government,
they were only sold in Canada and came with 3.8 v6 with a 3 speed floor stick, a/c , 200 kph swipe style speedo, 14" baby moon wheels, am/fm cassette
with heavy duty tweed interiors.

Car was sitting at a Cow Farm in the pasture for the last 13 years. almost went to the shredder

that's all for now.

OH fORGOT TO mention , I Got MY CLEAN TITLE BACK :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Insurance Company changed the status back, only took a year and a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_6650.JPG
    IMG_6650.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_6649.JPG
    IMG_6649.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 337

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Hi Kevin. Congrats on getting the clean title back on your car. I just started going through the thread you have here. The wagon looks like quite a find. If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts are you located? I'm figuring that you're somewhere in Canada, but since most of the country is cold and snowy right now, I'm not exactly sure where you are.
I also have one of the infamous Iraqi Malibus. Actually, its the third one that I've had since 1990. This one is still in pretty good shape, so I'm thinking that I'll fix it up eventually.
Good luck with the work on your wagon. Please keep the updates coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor