1980 Malibu What rearend should I use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young3

n00b
Jun 20, 2007
Alton/Godfrey Area
I have a 1980 Malibu and im in the process of going from the stock rearend to either a 8.5 inch or a GM 10 bolt. The thing is, is that the 10 bolt came out of a pontiac formula and I would have to have the housing shortened along with the axels. Then I would need a mounting kit, and have the brakets welded. I would be going from a drum to a disc rearend. I dont know if im wasting my time or should I just go with the 8.5?? Ive heared both sides, but I was wondering what everybody else thought. I have a 355 with a 350 turbo 3spd transmission pushing roughly 450-490hp with a little shot of nitrous. Let me know what ya think

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
What Year Firebird Formula? If it is a second generation F body, it is likely already an 8.5. Starting in 1972 or 73, all F bodies got the 8.5 as the 8.2 and 12 bolt ( 8.875 in) rear axles were phased out.There are several 10 bolt rear ends and not all are the same. The 8.5 is the best one, the 7.5 is the worst. The 8.5 G body rear axle is very hard to find, but is a bolt in. No F body rear axle bolts in to a G body because they use different suspension-either leaf spring from 1967-81, or a VERY different 4 link from 1982-2003. From 1982-2003, 3 different rear axles were used. The 7.5, 7.625(same as 7.5 but with 1/8 in more ring gear) and Australian 9 bolt which is found only in some 350 powered late 3rd gen F bodies. You could also consider a Ford 9 inch as housings are available that make it a bolt in to a G body, but it can get pricey unless you stay with the basics.

Powerhouse

n00b
Jun 3, 2007
Toronto Ontario
http://www.powerhouseperformance.ca

Can hook you up with either a 12 Bolt bolt-in or 9" Bolt-in...

By the time you shorten, re-weld, cut the axles... you may as well just get one the bolts in.

I'm got a Moser 9" in mine it's awesome

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
rear end

you could go with a 12 bolt out of a 66 chevelle and it bolts right in, just have to get a set of rims with a back spacing of 5.5 inches. thats what i had to do

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
Re: rear end

bowtie81 said:
you could go with a 12 bolt out of a 66 chevelle and it bolts right in, just have to get a set of rims with a back spacing of 5.5 inches. thats what i had to do

x2. they even make the upper and lower control arms for the g-body swap.

80' bu

Apprentice
Jul 12, 2007
Ontario
Can hook you up with either a 12 Bolt bolt-in or 9" Bolt-in...

By the time you shorten, re-weld, cut the axles... you may as well just get one the bolts in.

I'm got a Moser 9" in mine it's awesome

Whats the price for a complete 12bolt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor