1980 Monte Carlo LPG setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collector

Apprentice
Aug 28, 2011
Hoofddorp,Netherlands,Europe
Dont know if it belongs here, moderator feel free to move it to the correct section of the board.

Okay her whe go !
I promised to post how the setup is with LPG on a MC.

First we have to put in a LPG storage container in the trunk, in my case in order to save some trunk space i removed the torsion bars witch keeps the trunk lid open en mounted a gas based spring to keep the trunk from slamming onto my coconut.
The tank is mounted onto a tank rack witch is bolted onto the trunk floor, regulation says metallic contact isn't allowed between the LPG tank and any other kind of metal therefore is the edge of the rack covered in a rubber strip and tank straps are covered with plastic. Needless to say everything has to be securely fastened. the tank is equipped with an electrical cutoff valve.

lpgstoragetank.jpg

Next is a rubber covered copper tube 8 mm inner diameter that goes from the LPG storage tank to the front of the car, regulation says every 30 cm the tube has to be fastened with a little bracket, it has to keep clear of the exhaust pipe for at least 10 cm or else a heat shield is necessary. no picture of the tubing i think its not necessary its ordinary tubing. its painted green on the next picture.

In the front of the car we have mounted an filter/storage cannister and an electric cutoff valve (blue dot) connected to the 8 mm tubing (green line)
From the filter/storage cannister the tubing goes to the evaporator (red dot) so its liquid gas all the way to the evaporator.
The evaporator is needed to convert the liquid gas into a gas state, and it needs heat to do that, no heat is a freezed up evaporator if gas is drawn from it.
So we cut the heater core hoses and place a T-Piece of pipe and connect the evaporator with the rubber hoses, don't get the hoses mixed up or no heat for the heater core anymore and cold feet and nose in wintertime, so the evaporator gets heat after the heated coolant has passed the heater core. (yellow lines)

lpgvaporizer.jpg

Close up evaporator:
lpgvaporizer1.jpg

Okay we have a tank, tubing, evaporator and [BS]a little leprechaun pouring the gas into the engine with his little bucket
[/BS] all we need now is a mixer to get the gas mixed with air so the engine can run on the mixture.
In the next picture you all can see the mixer, the original quadrajet carburetor, petrol fuel lines and even the petrol tank has been removed from the car, no need for it,LPG is widely available over here.
In the picture theres a big hose going the the mixer where the gas is going from the evaporator into the mixer (purple line)
The blueish line is throttle cable, and the green line is TV cable.

lpgmixer.jpg

Closeup mixer:
lpgmixer1.jpg

There is one other safety item installed and thats an induction relay, if there is no ignition on cylinder number 1 both cutoff valves (tank and filter/storage cannister valves) are not working.

if there are any question ask them and ill try to answer them.

MC running on LPG youtube below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTMTnWkIhIY
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTMTnWkIhIY[/youtube]

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Nice emissions should be alot cleaner :wink: I worked on LPG setups on GSE at DIA and learned alot, didn't think of ever making it work on a g body though.. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor