BUILD THREAD 1982 Malibu Wa-GOON 6.2/4L80e/8.5

Misfitmike63

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2023
Friend adapted the 3” holley kit to fit around the coilovers, as well as the TNT loop and G-force crossmember. Tuning will start tomorrow. Video to follow!!

IMG_5415.jpeg

IMG_5416.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Misfitmike63

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2023
IMG_7525.jpeg

Moved the mounting of my XMax screen. Friend 3D printed a bracket for it. Even with the shifter in drive, it goes just below it.

IMG_7526.jpeg

Also, drove the car home, and I had a smile the whole way! Can’t wait to put some miles on it after I clean it up a little. I ordered a larger transmission pan, and a new dipstick as well. Going to have to modify the engine oil dipstick, as it holds the spark plug wire against the header.

Reactions: 4 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I used the same exhaust kit (with manifolds though) and have had much trouble with clamping it since some of the segments aren't round. I've used expanders to try to round it out and torn it at the driver x-pipe inlet. I see you've welded it in numerous places, so you'll probably be better off. I swapped out the mufflers for quieter and cheaper thrush turbo mufflers. I'm so dissatisfied with it, I may eventually go with a 4" single pipe, or weld it in, like you did. Also the body mount rubbers dry rotted within a year.

Could you comment on the rear coil relocation you've done. What did that accomplish for you? Perhaps I'll look into doing that when I put my 8.5" in the Monte Carlo.

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Nice placement of the XMax screen, it almost kind of tucks in there which is much better than hanging out by the radio or blocking the gauges.

Misfitmike63

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2023
I used the same exhaust kit (with manifolds though) and have had much trouble with clamping it since some of the segments aren't round. I've used expanders to try to round it out and torn it at the driver x-pipe inlet. I see you've welded it in numerous places, so you'll probably be better off. I swapped out the mufflers for quieter and cheaper thrush turbo mufflers. I'm so dissatisfied with it, I may eventually go with a 4" single pipe, or weld it in, like you did. Also the body mount rubbers dry rotted within a year.

Could you comment on the rear coil relocation you've done. What did that accomplish for you? Perhaps I'll look into doing that when I put my 8.5" in the Monte Carlo.

when I opened the kit, only 1 pipe was out of round, but I fixed it with an expander. My friend just tack welded the clamps in place on 1 side to assist with assembly/disassembly.

as for the coil relocation, it’s a coilover setup from UMI. It gives you more adjustability with the suspension. It actually got in the way of the mounts for the Holley exhaust, so that was something my friend at the exhaust shop had to fix.

Misfitmike63

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2023
Been wicked busy, but got the front wheels on and got it inspected. Hoping to get some miles on it before the snow comes

IMG_7589.jpeg

IMG_7588.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users

Misfitmike63

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2023
Put my dads malibu and my flatbed away for the winter. While cleaning, found LED headlights I bought for my 2 door. Think I need to buy a set for the wagon now.

IMG_7768.jpeg

IMG_7767.jpeg

IMG_7780.jpeg

IMG_7781.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Misfitmike63

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2023
With the winter coming in New England, I’ve been sidetracked with construction and also house stuff. Recently started finalizing permanent heat for the garage, going with a ceiling mounted 60,000 btu heater. Hopefully it’ll arrive soon! Just got some new 6’ ceiling fans mounted, and can definitely notice much more air flow!
F0C28D5B-AE7B-4D06-AF4E-AFF64C8DA1B6.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor