EL CAMINO 1985 Gauge Cluster Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Griffith

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2018
My first successful project on the 1985 El Camino - to be fair I have only tore into this and the door handles so far lol.....

Yesterday I spent about three hours swapping a gauge cluster I found in another car. Obviously it will have to all come back apart for paint and the new dash when I get to that, but now I know what I am doing. Some thanks to the following YouTube uploaders, who's invaluable help made this project go relatively smooth as far as doing anything on a Chevy goes!!

ClassicPartsSource - headlight switch knob removal:

FixItCar - speedo cable removal:

Tyler's Neighborhood Garage - gear indicator adjustment:

synergy7 - gauge cluster replacement:

Thanks for the help!! One thing I can't get quite right is the bottom left corner, as you can see it bulges out. The bracket for the headlight switch sticks out too far, and even with the screws in the corner bulges. I tried bending it some, but I didn't want to go nuts on it since the plastic is a little brittle. If anyone knows a trick that works for this I'd happily try it out!!

~JL

gauge cluster 4.jpg gauge cluster.jpg light switch2.jpg light switch.jpg gear indicator.jpg gauge cluster2.jpg gauge cluster 3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor