1985 with a 305 starts but then dies

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Likely something within the Carb, maybe time for a new one. This is something I did recently, they aren't cheap and Refurbs, depending where you get one aren't any good either. Carb rebuild kit is a cheaper route if you wanna get more hands on to save cash.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
If the problem didn't exist before the filter change, suspect issue with the filter or the work performed.

On the 305, you should have the short filter with the opening pointing toward the passenger fender. Need a 5/8 flare wrench and a 1 inch open end wrench. Remove the line, open up installation point of the filter.

Make sure filter isn't turned around. The first item that goes in is a very light pressure spring, then the filter. The capped metal end goes towards the carb, the open end points to the line. If this is in backwards very very little fuel will flow.

There is also an anti leak/anti roll over safety with a check ball and spring, remove that with pair of needle nose pliers and ensure filter is installed in correct direction. Put everything back together and try to start.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Holy shiite this was from back in March! I'm assuming it started and ran since then. Hopefully he got it fixed in the last 8 months.

Regardless, when starts and dies within seconds when getting fuel and spark and all that, first thing I check is that friggin' choke pulloff.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor