300hp 307

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
With a 350 Olds in place of your 307 and dressed with everything from your 307 , I doubt this would ever happen and even if someone noticed the swap they would most likely compliment you for adding some much needed power under the hood of a great looking car and for going through the effort to make it look factory and keeping it Olds powered.

The only possible issue is someone trying to get passed smog check someplace strict like CA and the inspector notices the wrong block casting number Through even in CA most inspectors don't look that hard. The Federal law is you can't swap in an engine older than the car itself, must be same year or newer. So legally speaking this precludes larger Olds engine swaps as they predate most G bodies.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The only possible issue is someone trying to get passed smog check someplace strict like CA and the inspector notices the wrong block casting number Through even in CA most inspectors don't look that hard. The Federal law is you can't swap in an engine older than the car itself, must be same year or newer. So legally speaking this precludes larger Olds engine swaps as they predate most G bodies.
While I agree, my comment was more about this happening "I still have mild PTSD from getting heckled, shamed, and mocked" because it is "N.O.M."

• Haha

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
While I agree, my comment was more about this happening "I still have mild PTSD from getting heckled, shamed, and mocked" because it is "N.O.M."

I got that years ago on a turboBuick forum when I swapped a HO 305 into my n/a V6 Regal. They called me everything, under the sun, most of which I can't repeat here LOL. On the flip side there is another G body related forum I won't name, (its not this one), where they ridicule members for not LS swapping their cars and staying with SBC power.

Last edited:

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
  • On Mondello, yes I have heard lots of negative information about their business practices. But I spoke face-to-face with their Master Engine Builder (Rick), and he has built like over a hundred Oldsmobile V-8 engine; I have built ZERO. He knows what he is talking about, technically, or at least WAYYY more than I do.
That guy is the one ripping people off... forget anything he's said to you.
They've literally slapped engines together without machining, tolerancing and in some cases took used parts and chucked them into a new engine.
More like hacked together 100's of engines.... if you want to talk anything about Olds engines go to www.realoldspower.com this is the wrong forum unfortunately.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Mark Remmel, also known as Cutlassefi, BTR Bill Travato, Rocket Racing and Dale Robinson who built the 450 HP 307 up here in Ontario, Canada are all knowledgeable with Olds V8's. Dale is a year backed up. Plan a year ahead for anything from him. I am planning on picking up bare Procomp heads on the next Black Friday deal and send them to Mark Remmel to get them down to 64cc chambers, intake face cut and probably get the entrance massaged and quality valves and springs for a roller cam. The new Edelbrock heads are supposed to be for a 4" bore, 2.07/1.68 valves and probably a 68cc chamber but have been delayed, multiple times. Unfortunately Edelbrock has had someone outside their facility finish the BB0 version head with less than an ideal results. Aftermarket heads are a big bone of contention in the Olds community.

Reactions: 1 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
This topic comes up quite often and there's been a good answer for it for the past 25 years here:

As for anything Mondello... RUN, don't even soil your mind with any BS from Mondello Performance in Pesos Robles, CA, they ripped off countless and have no relation to Joe or Bernard Mondello.
Unless it comes from any written article by Joe Mondello himself or Bernard, it's all BS.
I spoke with Lynn before he passed and bought a built 403 from him.. 15k later no motor, after he passed his ex wife took over and I eventually found out that they sold my engine and would build me a new one. I told them to give me my money back I’m not doing business with liers and that’s what Lynn was he told me so much garbage over a years time. I would only do business with Barnard

Maryland G-man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Supporting Member
May 12, 2023
Attention all interested parties: taking some advice from a few of you, I have started a brand-new thread, entitled:

"Oldsmobile V-8 Engine Builder Recommendations? (in the mid-Atlantic Region)"

Hopefully, this thread will "steer" (see what I did there?) us to a more efficient closure of the topic. :giggle:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
That guy is the one ripping people off... forget anything he's said to you.
They've literally slapped engines together without machining, tolerancing and in some cases took used parts and chucked them into a new engine.
More like hacked together 100's of engines.... if you want to talk anything about Olds engines go to www.realoldspower.com this is the wrong forum unfortunately.
I couldn't help thinking. You can't possibly know that someone knows more than you do, unless and until you know as much as he does.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I couldn't help thinking. You can't possibly know that someone knows more than you do, unless and until you know as much as he does.
Not sure what this has to do with this thread....
I've been collecting and building Oldsmobiles since I was 15 years old and have been fully engrained in the Olds community pretty much a couple hours a day at minimum since 2001 before any of these forums existed with the Gmail lists.
Needless to say I've about seen and heard it all...

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor