305 TBI swap questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

beenen

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
ok..bare with me here since I have never swapped out an engine at all but I have a few questions so if anyone could help me out that would be great. I'm looking to swap out my 4.3 TBI to a 305 TBI. not looking for power at all, since this is just a driving car.

1. If you were to take a carb'd 305 and put a TBI manifold on and a TBI injector, would everything work just fine? (knowing you already had the fuel lines, fuel pump, etc)

2. Would a 4.3 TBI fuel pump be able to support the 305 TBI?

3. If you swapped the 305 in place of the v6, would you have to tune the transmission on it at all?

4. Could I use any of the electronics / computer from my v6 TBI on the 305 TBI?

sure there is more..just want to do as much research as I can so I don't run into any problem at all

thanks

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
beenen said:
ok..bare with me here since I have never swapped out an engine at all but I have a few questions so if anyone could help me out that would be great. I'm looking to swap out my 4.3 TBI to a 305 TBI. not looking for power at all, since this is just a driving car.

1. If you were to take a carb'd 305 and put a TBI manifold on and a TBI injector, would everything work just fine? (knowing you already had the fuel lines, fuel pump, etc)

2. Would a 4.3 TBI fuel pump be able to support the 305 TBI?

3. If you swapped the 305 in place of the v6, would you have to tune the transmission on it at all?

4. Could I use any of the electronics / computer from my v6 TBI on the 305 TBI?

sure there is more..just want to do as much research as I can so I don't run into any problem at all

thanks

1. If you get the tbi intake from a v8, then yes, all the lines will fit, but you cant use the v6 intake though.

2. Yes, the 4.3 pump will work for any tbi application, from a 4.3 all the way up to the 454 tbi.

3. The trans should hold up to the 305, after all its not like its really a powerhouse in stock form lol, and it will bolt up.

4. You might, I imagine all of the components will swap over as far as the wiring harness but you WILL need the v8 distributor and maybe the v8 computer, but you can try your luck with the v6 computer but if it runs rough then you know thats the problem.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask! Hope all goes well bro, keep us updated on how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor