307 to 403 Olds swap...info please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

81X11

Master Mechanic
Oct 28, 2010
Round Rock Texas
two90west said:
I see you put in a little work on the cutlass and it's looking good, if you could put some pics up of your a/c brackets and bolts so I can put mine on my car I am having trouble with it thanks. Check out my build. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32114

Will get some pics tomorrow. I used all the 307's brackets and bolts on the 350, with the exception of getting an a/c rear mount bracket off a '79 Toronado, which didn't have a smog pump. I didn't want to see an empty bracket on the new engine since I'm not running the smog pump. Just looks cleaner. Other than not having the smog pump area, the mount was the same as the 307's.

Good luck with your project!

-Mike

81X11

Master Mechanic
Oct 28, 2010
Round Rock Texas
Took the car to the Cedar Park cruise-in tonight (pics in the Events section) and the gauge never got hot, stayed around 180-205.....good deal! Guess it just has some air in the system that had to work itself out. Will check the level tomorrow.

Car is running GREAT! I can't believe Olds never offered the 350 in these....307's were junk....this has SO much more power and since you don't have to floor it to make it go, I bet the mileage is ok too! We'll see!

-Mike

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
81X11 said:
Took the car to the Cedar Park cruise-in tonight (pics in the Events section) and the gauge never got hot, stayed around 180-205.....good deal! Guess it just has some air in the system that had to work itself out. Will check the level tomorrow.

Car is running GREAT! I can't believe Olds never offered the 350 in these....307's were junk....this has SO much more power and since you don't have to floor it to make it go, I bet the mileage is ok too! We'll see!

-Mike

Good to hear. I'm telling you though, you gotta bump that timing way up assuming you are in fact only running 28*. If you think it's good now just wait until it gets some more timing advance. Should be a noticable difference everywhere from idle to redline.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Intragration said:
......I agree that 36 degrees total is what you should be aiming for, but I think 20 degrees initial is quite a bit higher than the factory set it. Which motors got this? I'm seeing more like 8-12 initial from the factory, 20 degrees @ 1,100 RPM in a couple cases. 16 degrees initial was about the highest I was able to go before hot starts became a problem. I was very happy with the Crane recurve kit using the lightest springs, that brought me right up to 35-36 total with 15 initial.
From what I have seen/read/heard, the older, higher compression SBO's were set initially at 8-10 degrees at warm idle (550-650), in gear.... Later, lower comp SBO's w/ HEI's were set at 16-18 degrees at warm idle, in gear.....setting the timing on a high comp engine too far advanced WILL produce detonation (often silent!) during light throttle applications and create harder starting, especially when you factor in the ported vacuum advance (as high as 20+ degrees!) that HEI's produce which higher compression engines were never meant to use. Using an HEI set up on a older motor has definate benefits...but it does require some thought. The higher compression means higher octane fuel is normally required, larger spark plug gap, HEI wires, and some adjustments to the vacuum advance to achieve the correct tune at all rpm/load ranges. ... two cents

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Add 6 degrees, you can dial back the vacuum advance, if pinging occurs.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
If you're not running an EGR valve, then the stock HEI's vacuum advance will usually be too high. You can get ones with less advance, though you'll have to do soe research to find out which ones you could use, but then you can always get an aftermarket adjustable one too.

81X11

Master Mechanic
Oct 28, 2010
Round Rock Texas
DoubleV said:
If you're not running an EGR valve, then the stock HEI's vacuum advance will usually be too high. You can get ones with less advance, though you'll have to do soe research to find out which ones you could use, but then you can always get an aftermarket adjustable one too.

I'm liking this debate. I put an aftermarket disto in there, and it's adjustable. No EGR. For sure a '71 motor built as far as I can tell to stock specs. Set at 12...when warm. This is what the 1971 book calls for. Idle is still a tad low, but no pinging, and starts easy, even hot.

Still need to get some pics of the front of the engine....sorry for the delay!

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor