80' Malibu Wagon in Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

swissmalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2013
Valais-Switzerland
Hello,
My name is Cedric, I'm living in Switzerland in the Alps. I love american cars :wink: . I've bougth in November last year a 1980 Malibu Wagon, 305ci.
The car is full stock with 200'000 km.
Here are pics:
Chevrolet_malibu_wagon_1980_02.jpg

big_IMG_0046s.jpg

big_IMG_0048s.jpg

Chevrolet_malibu_wagon_1980_04.jpg

Chevrolet_malibu_wagon_1980_03.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard Cedric,

That's a very nice, clean Malibu wagon you have there. Do you know where the car came from originally? The reason I ask is because Swiss Malibus usually had the European taillights and front parking lights.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of it.

DI_Knight

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2013
Mexico
Your car looks great, how it does run?

Yes, I think your car was sold new in other country because you have the "normal" parking lights instead the european. Greetings!

swissmalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2013
Valais-Switzerland
Longroof79 said:
Welcome aboard Cedric,

That's a very nice, clean Malibu wagon you have there. Do you know where the car came from originally? The reason I ask is because Swiss Malibus usually had the European taillights and front parking lights.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of it.

The car came from Switzerland in Bienne. The lights were changed with US ligths for a better look. 8)
Here are pics of the factory's plate and service manual:

normal_big_IMG_0074.jpg

normal_big_IMG_0080.jpg

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
So the car did originate from Switzerland. That's interesting that the European lights were changed out for the US version.
I wonder if the previous owner changed them out, or the Chevy dealer.? I'd be interested in the Euro lenses if they're still available. At least the taillight lenses.
Was this an original owner car, or had it been thru a few owners? It's nice that you have the original drivers manual, books, etc . Overall, it looks like it was a well taken care of car. Do you take it to car shows?

Good luck with it. :)

swissmalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2013
Valais-Switzerland
Hi Longroof79,
The lights have been changed to the US version by the previous owner a few years ago. I still have the original ones:

normal_DSC08576.JPG

But I want to keep them... :? In Switzerland we have very hard technical control, every 2-4 years :evil: And maybe they don't like the US version...
For the history, a lady bought it new and kept it until 2010 (30 years!). The second owner kept it 2 years (his girlfriend drove it :) ). So I am the third owner.
Yes the car was good taken care. Off course the paint have some scratches and have burned by sun, but it's OK.
I have taken it a few weeks ago to a car show, it was raining and I slept inside the car: perfect :!:
For the sunny days I have also a Pontiac Formula 400 from 1971 :D

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Cedric,
Thanks for sharing about the car's history and pics. It's nice to know the history. So you have the original Euro lenses...good for you. They appear to be in very nice condition, too. I'd like to find a set that are not cracked and brittle.
I don't blame you for wanting to keep them.

I've heard that Switzerland is very strict about their car laws and regulations.
Post a pic of your Formula 400. Those are cool cars.

Do you also have the front amber and white parking lenses?

swissmalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2013
Valais-Switzerland
Longroof79 said:
Cedric,
Thanks for sharing about the car's history and pics. It's nice to know the history. So you have the original Euro lenses...good for you. They appear to be in very nice condition, too. I'd like to find a set that are not cracked and brittle.
I don't blame you for wanting to keep them.

Do you also have the front amber and white parking lenses?
It's funny because in Switzerland we like to put US lenses and apparently in USA you like Euro Lenses :!: :roll:
I don't have the front Euro lenses... The precedent ower told me that he has changed to US version but he didn't give then to me, maybe broken??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor