86 GP project

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Insurance is on. Wish I didn’t have to work late tonight, so I could finish up under the hood. I want to drive it.
Also needs a serious altitude adjustment once I get the full set of wheels on.
View attachment 234370
Lower in the front, higher in the back? Period correct stink-bug stance? 😉

Reactions: 1 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Lower in the front, higher in the back? Period correct stink-bug stance? 😉
Nah. Probably a little higher than my Malibu
IMG_1453.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I topped off the trans today and I ran it back and forth in the driveway, seems strong from a stop. Unfortunately I have a bit of an oil leak, that’s a little bit too large to ignore. Back in the garage tomorrow night to hopefully fix whatever it is. 62 vette is being dropped off Saturday am. I was hoping this car would be squared away before.

Reactions: 2 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I got the timing set today and took the car for a little ride. I have brakes and all three gears. Have a little bit of an oil leak so I’ll have to get the car in the air and take a look. Unfortunately I also got the 62 Vette today, so the GP is on the back burner.
The Vette body was really good, but to keep the seams from showing, they needed to be glassed. The owner decided to help me out by doing them. They pretty rough, to say the least.
Got some good news from my neighbor, as well. He’s got a beetle parts car for me. I only need a couple things off of it, but it comes with a set of good floor pans. So if I ever finish these two cars, I have that going for me, which is nice. 😊
IMG_9873.jpeg
IMG_9874.jpeg
IMG_9875.jpeg
IMG_9877.jpeg
IMG_9876.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
So I what I thought was a little leak, is a pretty major one. I thought that it was just a loose valve cover. Turns out to be the oil pan around the dipstick. I put a nice one piece gasket in, but something sure didn’t seal right. Had to walk away from the car tonight.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
IMG_0049.jpeg
IMG_0052.jpeg
IMG_0055.jpeg
IMG_9825.jpeg
Progress has pretty much ground to a halt. I wasn’t able to get the leak handled. It seems to be where the dipstick goes into the pan, but that could just be where it’s finally dripping off of. In a couple weeks, when it warms up, I’ll get a better look.
The car got pushed outside for the 62 corvette project I took on. Progress on that has been slower than I’d like, as I’ve been preoccupied or sick the past 3 weekends, and my friends painter retired, so I’ve been helping him out in the shop. I finally put some time in on the vette yesterday, and I’ll do some more today and tomorrow. I was hoping 2 months max on this car and I’m already one in. Quite a ways away from the goal, but it’s getting there.

Reactions: 5 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
was that car gel coated orginally or something else?
Nope, no gelcoat on corvettes. Raw glass. Polyester on these. Nice original body, but the seams shrink so you have to grind them and fill them with mat. If not for that, the bodywork would be 123 on this one. Just a quick skim and polyester prime.

Attachments

• IMG_8997.jpeg
    IMG_8997.jpeg
    634.1 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i came into a split window project about half way,they told me it was bees waxed origiinaly.i never heard of that

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor