87 Cutlass Project #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011
Re: good bye j-body hello g-body :)

hey guys i was going through my glove box today and found the manufactures book and it says 1987 olds cutlas salom 455? does this look correct? the guy i got it off of said it had a 305 though :S

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York

98whitez24 said:
hey guys i was going through my glove box today and found the manufactures book and it says 1987 olds cutlas salom 455? does this look correct? the guy i got it off of said it had a 305 though :S
Not to kill your high, that's not a 455 motor...probably a 307 or maybe the 350...But not a 455 :(

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.

JBreu said:
98 white z24 said:
hey guys i was going through my glove box today and found the manufactures book and it says 1987 olds cutlass salon 455? does this look correct? the guy i got it off of said it had a 305 though :S
Not to kill your high, that's not a 455 motor...probably a 307 or maybe the 350...But not a 455 :(

With center bolt valve covers it's a 305 or 350 Chevy engine.

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx

thats a chevy...olds have the oil filler tube near the water pump

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York

tc1959 said:
JBreu said:
98 white z24 said:
hey guys i was going through my glove box today and found the manufactures book and it says 1987 olds cutlass salon 455? does this look correct? the guy i got it off of said it had a 305 though :S

With center bolt valve covers it's a 305 or 350 Chevy engine.
I shoulda looked at those a lil closer :( LOL

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011

okay, just wondering as the man book said 455 so i wasnt sure, but i tried for a bit today to get gas to the carb but no luck, also bought a flange for the y pipe but i broke one of the studs on the manifold..so i may be looking into headers for it not sure, but is it possible to replace them without pulling the motor, should i try to take the manifold off

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010

i haven't done it yet and thankfully ill just be dropping a motor in with new headers but from what iv heard its a b*tch and its possible to finagle them in there, and a few people have said its easier from the bottom if you have a lift or i suppose you could jack it up high enough.... nice ride and welcome...

as far as your questions, brake lines: you should check where all chevys rot either ontop of the dif or follow them along the frame rail, generally the driver side goes more often than not... i havent checked my self but i think the gbody is the crossover brake line design where the lines make an x somewhere near the transmission and go back to the respective caliper but dont quote me on that v.v..... also if you broke a stud off in the manifold..../sadface get as many out as you can and pull the manifold off, then youll need to find a torch and see if you can get the stud out.... heat, cold water and then turn with a stud puller socket its a pain in the *ss and honestly rusted studs is really the only downside of liking old sh*t v.v

but good luck and nice buy, especially compared to what you were driving lol

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011

lol thanks man, it's alot nicer, but still can't get it running so i think im going to be getting a new fuel pump and redoing the fuel lines from front to back, i just don't want to end up having to replace the tank straps if theyre rotted but i mean one price is a little better than losing a tank while driving..

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY

Welcome to the site :D
You didnt say if you tried pouring a little gas in the carb to get it to fire up?
Oops I see you did :lol:
Fuel pump is cheap and easy to change.
I bought pre bent stainless brake lines from inlinetube for my bu.
Was kind of a b*tch to install them but well worth it.
If you can swing it its best to change them all.. Brakes are kinda important luckily mine blew out in the driveway.
If its rotted in one spot the rest cant be to far behind.
Good luck with your new ride..

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY

Quick tip---
When installing the new pump to get the pump pushrod to stay up out of the way. You can put grease on the pushrod to hold it up or put a longer bolt in the hole thats on the front of the block directly in front of the rod.
There should be a short bolt in there now 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor