87 Cutlass Project #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011
Re: good bye j-body hello g-body :)

thanks man, im thinking i want to re plum the fuel lines going from the tank, but which side of the frame rail do the gas lines go on, and what do you think it'll cost me to do (im in canada) im thinking fuel line, 2 of them running from the tank to the pump, right?, and 2 gas tank straps(might as well do them while im there) and while im under ill bend up some lines going from the junction block down to rear axle and get braided line for the pivot point, first, then do the fronts later on down the road

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ

98whitez24 said:
thanks man, im thinking i want to re plum the fuel lines going from the tank, but which side of the frame rail do the gas lines go on, and what do you think it'll cost me to do (im in canada) im thinking fuel line, 2 of them running from the tank to the pump, right?, and 2 gas tank straps(might as well do them while im there) and while im under ill bend up some lines going from the junction block down to rear axle and get braided line for the pivot point, first, then do the fronts later on down the road

Is the car still in the sellers driveway or at home ??? If it's still at the sellers then go to the coffee shop and talk to a tow truck driver and offer him $50 ( they can be bribed and it's much cheaper than calling it into the towing company which will run you a min $100 and could be much much more ) to get the car at home then take your time and do it right.

If the car has been sitting that long you will want to drop the tank and get all that old stuff out of both the tank and lines so you check it's condition. Seen a guy on kijiji selling a newer tank for $60 in St Catherines ( I see the Hamilton Road map in one of the pics so I assume you live down around there ) which might be a better option if yours looks to be rotted.
Then remove the fuel line at the pump and blow out the lines ( catch what comes out ) if it's full of rust you might as well buy a coil of 3/8" line from Partsource, Carquest, ect... while you are picking up your new fuel pump and a couple feet of new rubber 3/8 fuel line.
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z279146867
Or you can just put on a new fuel pump, dump some gas in the tank and hope for the best.

The busted brake line should be easy to find. Put some fluid in the res and pump the brakes then where it leaks out is your rotted spot. You can buy a coil of brake line for around $50 IIRC and the rubber flex line nover the rear axle ( no need for braided ) is only like $10. Then hit up Princess auto and buy a flaring tool and start making some brake lines. Because you bought the coil it will be cheaper and you will have some spare to learn on. Or you can fork out some $$ and buy prebent lines.
http://www.finelinesinc.com/
http://www.inlinetube.com/http://www.ge ... ing-3.aspx

Good luck !! Because it's a CDN cutlass it will have the 305 engine, Fuel lines on the PS brake lines on the DS

MUSCLEALMIGHTY

Apprentice
May 23, 2011
CT

Car looks good! You really scored on this one!!! I had one about 3 years ago.....until the cops impounded the car!! I got that one for $400...but it leaked gas and the frame was rotted to death! i drove it illegally and had my fun with it!! man....i wish i still had the car!
Anyways......good luck with the cutlass!!! Be sure to keep us in the loop with the progression!

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011

it's sitting in my driveway at home, i put a new alternator and a new battery so far, going to try that fuel filter thing see if i can't get any fel into the milk jug, if i don't then should i just get a new tank and replumb the fuel lines front to back with rubber hoses? iwas talking to a guy yesterday who said there's metal and rubber hoses going between tank & pump, is this true? and the manifold sstuds is more like a header stud, it's one of the studs for the y pipe to bolt to sorry i called it a manifold as it's stock so i assumed

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011

im thinking there's no rotted brake line, i found a sheet saying what it needed for a safety, but im not sure on this so im going to get it running and take it in to see what it needs, but the sheet said right rear ebrake cable, rear brake adjustment, clean the rear brakes and right outer tierod, shouldnt be too expensive, although if i get that new tank ill have 60 bucks till next friday

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ

98whitez24 said:
it's sitting in my driveway at home, i put a new alternator and a new battery so far, going to try that fuel filter thing see if i can't get any fel into the milk jug, if i don't then should i just get a new tank and replumb the fuel lines front to back with rubber hoses? iwas talking to a guy yesterday who said there's metal and rubber hoses going between tank & pump, is this true? and the manifold sstuds is more like a header stud, it's one of the studs for the y pipe to bolt to sorry i called it a manifold as it's stock so i assumed

- yes there are metal and rubber in the fuel line ( rubber from the tank to the hard line that runs from the front to the back, then rubber again from the hard line to your fuel pump )

It's your call if you want to run new lines. I would as explained before, and in theory you could do it all out of rubber but it's not very safe.

Get the car running before you tackle anything else ( like the broken stud in the exhaust ). If the motor or trans are fooked, you may be looking for another car. I would be concerned about a car, from Ontario, that sat outside for any length of time because of rust issues. You don't see many gbodes anymore because they all rusted away in the rockers, behind the rear wheels, and above the rear wheel lips ( like yours has started to ).

I don't want to discourage but it could quickly become a money pit. Get it running, driving and stopping under it's own power then get it up on a lift to really see how bad the underside is. Looks like your car was undercoated so you might be lucky.

If it were my car, I would pop the $40 bux for a coil of 3/8 rubber fuel line from crappy tire. Using you fuel line and some line clamps run the fuel line inlet from the fuel pump to draw fresh gas from a gas can. Car should start seeing fuel at the carb in under 30 seconds of cranking, if no fuel then spend another $40-$50 on a new fuel pump and try again. Let us know once you have it running.

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011

the only reason i got it was because the car was so solid, i was under it yeserday and the floors are wolid, the tank is solid, the only thing that has rust on it is the frame but it's not penetrating rust just surface, the car was stored indoors in a heated barn until march then it sat in the guys driveway until now

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011

okay, so i talked my girlfriend into going out and picking up that tank for me, so ill have the tank, ill go out and grab the fuel line tommorrow and dink around a bit before work to see if i can't wire in that pump to a jerry can and see if i can get it to turnover and if it does ill replum from tank forward,how are these sending units in these tanks after x amount of years?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ

there is no sending unit in the tank, just a float and a sock covered fuel pickup. Don't get too far ahead of yourself. You may find that you just need a new fuel pump and your lines and tank may be fine just needing a flush.

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011

okay, so i never ended up getting that tank, the guy ended up selling it, so whatever, i have an oem fuel pump & filter coming in today, and at the same time while im there im going to pick up 3/8s fuel line, and some tubeing just incase i do have to do the lines, then i have no issue with it, but... outside i go to rip into it for the fuel pump that will be here this afternoon, ill take ppix along the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor