87 Cutlass Project #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011
soo, not much to update, made an amazing score last night, bought a set of 87 monte ss rims from some guy about 20 mins away, for a whole wopping 70 bucks, they look straight, 3 came with tire, one without, but one has a broken bead on it, so theyre all getting switched out anyways, but im a step closer, and also have an 86 grille coming my way this sat, paying 100 bcks for that, and also doing a rally pack mod, if theres any tips on that it'd be great, gonna take my rims to the shop and power wash them tonight, then ill post up some pics, but here's some pics of how the cars sitting as of right now :)

IMG-20111010-00021.jpg

IMG-20111010-00020.jpg

IMG-20111010-00018.jpg

also getting rid of the centerline down the hood, hence the primer strip down the hood, slow progress, but progress none the less lol

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
Looking good.Were is the 3M dust mask or resperator. Auto paint has lead and other not so nice elements in its make up. Also they used lead filler not plastic at the GM plant when building your car.
Good luck with the rest of your build.

badass442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 6, 2011
dang!! not a rice car and is that a woman workin on the body of a cutlass!!! how freggin cool is that!! the project is comin along nicely. great job!!

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011
thanks, not trying to win any shows but to have a nice cruiser, i plan on redoing the floor pans properly in the spring, these patches are just to pass a safety lol, and yeah i've gotten the gf dirty more than a few times with the cutlass, but im starting to think that my timing chain may have skipped a tooth or the dizzy needs to be swapped out, due to the idle, i put a new carb on it(a rebuilt quadracrap i paid 50 bucks for) and it seems to idle cleaner and not puff black smoke anymore, but it sounds cammed to all hell and it was last driven by a guy who bought it new and kept it all original, so im not sure on that end, but it runs and drives, slow as all hell but still moves lol, stops too :) which is key, but i've never redone flex hoses, clipers, and brake lines before and did it with the help of the gf, but im hoping if it's nice out this week i should have almost everything primed and can start blocking it with 120, get it all blocked then prime again! lol, block then seal it and get it saftied

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011
hey guys, i know its been a while, but im back, cars gone to the shop for the week, needs to run right and i don't have the tools for it, but ill give you guys an update on pics and such, got the car back from the guy who patched the rail where it was cracked, got a sway bar, need to clean it up and paint it, also did some work on the monte rims i have, well did work on the one. here's pics ill shuddup now :) thx for looking.

99e77040.jpg
being towed to the motor shop.

ecd46779.jpg

b6e5137e.jpg
note what the other 3 rims look like. lol

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011
hey guys, nothing really new to update, but i got a set of bucket seats for a steal at 30 bucks a pop, and i put my steering wheel in, nothing really major, cleaned up someof my gremlins(dash illumination, fuel gauge), sway bar might be going on tonight... heres some pix for ya

677600c5.jpg

5aa55c56.jpg

dbcd9668.jpg

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011
so not much has been done to the car since the last post. i half blew the transmission, and blew a driveshaft doing about 120 down the highway, and decided to park it, and now, im parting most of it out, keeping a rolling chassis, and gonna put a cage in it, a 5 speed, 8.5 rear w/posi, gonna be a weekend warrior, new floor pans, once i get everything sold, im gonna be picking up the new sheetmetal, pass it off to a bodyshop, get them to do floorpans, and get it all seam sealed, pull the body off the frame, strip it down to bare frame, and get it sandblasted order all sphon suspension, do the blazer dual piston calipers, spindles, so on and soforth, but gotta get it gutted first.

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011
Well, its been 3 years since I last posted this, life got in the way and I ended up parting it out and built a lifted jimmy, sold that and looking at 4 or 5 different cutlasses, gonna pick one up soon hopefully and redo what I did to this one. There isn't a day I don't regret sending off the rolling chassis with all the new parts for 200 bucks.... Live and learn, hope to be posting here again with a new one in the next few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor