Any tips on a temporary fix floor pan rust hole

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
As a lifelong patcher/fiberglasser/riveter guy- I agree with everyone above. Fix it right. Especially if that is truly the only rot spot on the entire car. Get it done right and be confident the body is sound. This has nothing to do with paint or bodywork. This is structural and important. I broke down and bought my Lincoln MIG just to do that stuff on my Bonnewagon. Best move of my life.

Reactions: 3 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It's just going to be a weekend cruiser with some power. I cant find anyone the does REPOP but a have a lead on a few cars I can cut it out of. Until then I'm going to do as mentioned.

The more power you run through a car the more important its structual integrity becomes. G bodies are very old cars now and they are at the age that most will require at least some restoration work before they can be hotrodded.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
If you can cut a good section out of another car and weld that in, thatd be the ideal way to fix it.
Where I was going with my thought process is a 150lb weight in a 45mph to 0 mph decelleration (collision) has a peak force of 180 KN. That equates to about 45,500 lb ft of force if you want to picture it compared to the strength you put through a wrench.
I'm not arguing, but I am curious how you came up with those numbers.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
If you can cut a good section out of another car and weld that in, thatd be the ideal way to fix it.

I'm not arguing, but I am curious how you came up with those numbers.
Sure. Personal injury background when id gotten hurt had me use some force calculators to stress how painful accidents could be during settlement negotiations.

Once you get the force figured out it's a question of simple conversion factors to go from NM to Lb FT

There's lots of engineering spent figuring out how big those little plates were that seat belt bolts anchor to, as well as size of those bolts.

And I always thought my undergrad engineering times were going to be worthless after ending up in a different career path and doctorate.

Nov 4, 2012
Sure. Personal injury background when id gotten hurt had me use some force calculators to stress how painful accidents could be during settlement negotiations.

Once you get the force figured out it's a question of simple conversion factors to go from NM to Lb FT

There's lots of engineering spent figuring out how big those little plates were that seat belt bolts anchor to, as well as size of those bolts.

And I always thought my undergrad engineering times were going to be worthless after ending up in a different career path and doctorate.
Gotcha. I'm not 100% sure how that calculator works, but it looks like it accounts for more factors than I did. I love Physics though, it's very interesting.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Gotcha. I'm not 100% sure how that calculator works, but it looks like it accounts for more factors than I did. I love Physics though, it's very interesting.
I definitely miss engineering labs back in the day. Had I had the $$$ and gone to MIT like I wanted to I'd probably have had a VERY different career. But, they didn't give much in the way of a financial aid package, and, living costs in Boston were way high. Out of the question that had $0 coming in from parents to pay the way.

As it was I worked 3 jobs at a time and lived in a converted garage apartment that let snow get into the bathroom through the wall and pile up in the shower LOL. I couldn't imagine 4x the tuition and 5x the rent!

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
And don't stop there cause, much as I hate to add to the depth of your misery, what you might find if/when you go looking is that driver's side has suffered a similar fate in the same location.

Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Year and model? Next week maybe I can see if I can cut you a piece if available.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
That crack coming off of the hole is a planar shear. Takes significant energy to do that to steel. Of course the eroded metal has a big part of it, but if not fixed can continue tearing.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
I definitely miss engineering labs back in the day. Had I had the $$$ and gone to MIT like I wanted to I'd probably have had a VERY different career. But, they didn't give much in the way of a financial aid package, and, living costs in Boston were way high. Out of the question that had $0 coming in from parents to pay the way.

As it was I worked 3 jobs at a time and lived in a converted garage apartment that let snow get into the bathroom through the wall and pile up in the shower LOL. I couldn't imagine 4x the tuition and 5x the rent!
Was an article on one of the AM News shows this past Friday concerning a student at UBC (University of British Columbia, Canada) He lives in Alberta, where the cost of living is substantially lower in many respects, and commutes to the university. Only thing here is that he commutes by plane! Apparently the cost of living/renting in BC is twice as expensive as the cost of buying airline tickets, flying from Alberta to BC, attending classes, and then flying home again. He said he pays $1200 in ticket fees per month versus the $2400 or more per month that he would have to shell out for an apartment or room. The commute takes an hour, there and back, and apparently he uses that time for study and research. I do have to point out that he is not a full time student; needs only to complete a few remaining courses to graduate. Even so, this is some kind of serious thinking outside the box in an era where the cost of a post secondary education and the loans needed to pay for it, can put a student in debt prison for as much as half of their working life; more if the major was something like medicine. Kind of hard to make a living at anytime when you have the student loans office incessantly banging on your door or haunting you on the phone, demanding that you pay your debt, NOW.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor