Have Three (Or More) Keys To Your G-body? I Got A Fix For That.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You know the drill. Old locks worn out, previous owner, or even yourself, had to buy a new driver door lock for your 78-88 A/G-body and now you have 2 or more trunk/door/glove box keys and one igntion key.

Or maybe you got the original set(s) of keys for your car, but they're worn slap out. Even the station wagon guys with the rear twisty lock.

Never fear, I may can help.

Firstly, I am not a locksmith. But I have experience working with G-body locks, tearing them down, re-pinning them and gettting different locks matched to the keys I want to use.

Depending on your needs, I have the ability to PUNCH CUT keys to fit your G-body. Not like the key duplicator you see in the hardware stores that grind out keys based on copying your worn out key that just gets even worse over time. These would be fresh cut keys just like when the car was brandy new from the code book. Sure, a locksmith can do it, but trust me, I'd be a hella lot cheaper. I can cut any one-sided 6-cut GM key from 1935-1993 (without pass chip).

Different options include just cutting a new set of keys using a high-resolution photo of your existing keys, both sides. Just make sure to tell me which letter is stamped on your key to match the compatible key slot. One thing I cannot do is magically make a D key fit an H slot for example. I might can fix it, though, depending on the lock.

Additionally, if you have a different lock and want to match your dominant oval secondary key, I can re-pin your different lock (s) to match the keys you have for the other locks. All I would need is the lock itself and a picture of the key you want to use for it showing the cuts. I can read the cuts needed from the picture.

If you want a generic set of every day no-name keys, the fee covers the generic key blanks. But if you want the GM mark of excellence keys, you can either send them to me and I can punch them, or I can supply them for a fee. Keep in mind the restoration GM key blanks aren't dirt cheap any more so keep that in mind. $10 per first key pattern, $2 for subsequent keys with same pattern. So if you want one set of keys, it's $20, and $4 for the second set. $24 for two sets of fresh cut keys. GM Mark of Excellence restoration keys, if you supply the blanks, will be the same. If I have to supply the GM blanks, the cost will be slightly higher, depending on my costs to obtain them.

If interested, PM me with your lock needs, and we can go from there.

For example, here's one set of the original keys for my 85 442. The keys are worn but they look worse than they should because when I was in the Navy I had them on a belt hook key chain with other "important" keys and they took a beating. I blanked out the cuts because, well, security reasons.

Web Original Keys 85 442.jpg

And here's a new key I made today. Since I have an entire set of uncoded locks for the doors/trunk/glovebox, I decided to make my own code for the keys and cut a new code and pinned the new locks to match. Again, blacking out the cuts on the key itself, but you can see it's a new key. I might re-pin the new ignition switch to match that code too so I'll have the same code throughout the car. Not sure yet.

new punched B key for 85 442.jpg

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
If you ever have trouble sourcing GM mark of excellence keys I may be able to assist to a degree. I've got more a/b and c/d, but, have some e/h and j/k as well.

Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm starting to think you are the guy to bring back to life my original key for my '81's ignition lock as I haven't seen it or the column since 2003.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm starting to think you are the guy to bring back to life my original key for my '81's ignition lock as I haven't seen it or the column since 2003.
Your 81 should be an E (Square) and H (oval) set of keys. If you have any codes, that'd be great. If not, trunk lock is easiest to remove for the oval key (glovebox isn't as it only uses the last 4 tumblers).

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Your 81 should be an E (Square) and H (oval) set of keys. If you have any codes, that'd be great. If not, trunk lock is easiest to remove for the oval key (glovebox isn't as it only uses the last 4 tumblers).
Yea, still have the original cut E & H keys. Currently I have a used & later new/NOS E ignition locks but no codes for the original unless I figure out the way to tell from that one part in the Fisher manuals. I'm (at last check) I'm good on the other locks.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yea, still have the original cut E & H keys. Currently I have a used & later new/NOS E ignition locks but no codes for the original unless I figure out the way to tell from that one part in the Fisher manuals. I'm (at last check) I'm good on the other locks.
I can tell you what the key cut codes are if you have a good, clear pictures of the keys, both sides. As long as the key isn't so worn out it's flat across the bottom. :) Just pm them to me if you wish. No sense giving everyone the pattern for your keys.

Reactions: 1 users

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
Never thought to take a
Picture of my keys. I do only have one set to the car.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor