Anyone have a junk frame? I need a piece from a bad chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

87 GN

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2009
Philly Area
Re: Anyone have a junk frame? I need a piece from a bad chas

Longroof79 said:
Originally I thought you had a wagon frame, until you mentioned that it was from a GN. The previous owner obviously had cut a few corners when he put the body on that frame. I guess now is the time to correct these things. You're certainly going about it the right way. Keep up the good work.

Thanks I know the previous owner and the owner before him bought it that way so the original swap goes way back past them. It was defiantly half assed and as you can see that just doesn't work for me ;)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

it might have been half assed but it looks like you got a great frame out of it. I'd much rather do the modifications that you are doing than to repair a rusty frame. Conrad mentioned that you adjust the height of the part on the frame with the lip he has bent at an angle.

Attachments

• 2013-01-15 14.45.17.jpg
    2013-01-15 14.45.17.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 974

87 GN

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2009
Philly Area

pontiacgp said:
it might have been half assed but it looks like you got a great frame out of it. I'd much rather do the modifications that you are doing than to repair a rusty frame. Conrad mentioned that you adjust the height of the part on the frame with the lip he has bent at an angle.

I thought the same thing especially after $300 to have it media blasted, after all the work to tear it down and clean it up changing frames was not an option. Much easier to modify what I have.

Thanks for the info on the mount. I'll double/tripple check before welding it in place. We plan to lower the body onto the frame and put the bushing in place bolted to the body then tack the bracket and will lift the body up, weld it permanently, prime and paint the mount and then lower the body for the final time. I will have a lift to use for putting the body back on so it will be much easier then when we removed it in my driveway.

Thanks Again for the help, I probably sound like a broken record but I really appreciate it.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

pontiacgp said:

I have to agree. At least you know that you have a good solid frame, not one that's been hacked together. I could tell that you're particular. That's a good trait. :wink:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

the part is on it's way....it's going ground so it should slip thru customs. Plus the cost of the next way was 3 times the cost of the part. The postal babe said it should take around a week.

87 GN

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2009
Philly Area

pontiacgp said:
the part is on it's way....it's going ground so it should slip thru customs. Plus the cost of the next way was 3 times the cost of the part. The postal babe said it should take around a week.

Thanks Again

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

It's nice you appreciate it. But for me it was great day for a drive, I got to meet Conrad and that was something that would not have happened if I wasn't getting that part so it was a great day for me. Conrad is a very interesting person to talk with and I get enjoyment out of speaking with people who are genuine.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Ed, can't believe I just found this thread. I have been contemplating using a coupe frame, just because they were easier to get.

I had heard that the rear frame rail had a different radius or bend or something to clear the gas tank. I guess yours fit fine.

87 GN

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2009
Philly Area

liquidh8 said:
Ed, can't believe I just found this thread. I have been contemplating using a coupe frame, just because they were easier to get.

I had heard that the rear frame rail had a different radius or bend or something to clear the gas tank. I guess yours fit fine.

Rail's clear the tank just fine.To mod the sedan chassis it just needs the hole relocated for the drivers side bushing and the perch for the passenger side bushing. Hell my wagon didn't have either of this bushing's in its past life and it worked just fine.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Ed, that my friend is good to know. I will be yanking the body off the chassis on my wagon here in the coming weeks so I can get it sandblasted, boxed, rewelded, ect. I had been contemplating getting another frame and doing this stuff to it, then a one for one swap.

In any case, thanks for the information and the pictures. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor