Arced battery question

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
I run a master disconnect switch under the hood. For some reason it crapped out and in the process of confirming this I hit the hot lug with a jumper to the chassis for a split second. I didnt even see arcing but heard a light “snap” noise, instantly knew what I did. Bypassed disconnect for the time being and all is well. I was assuming i would have at least found one blown fuse but everything seems fine so far. Just wanted to pick y’alls brains on why that is, and if any damage was done, why or why not.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I wouldn’t worry about it. If the car starts you didn’t do any damage. Computer cars are more sensitive to stray currents and voltages.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
I run a master disconnect switch under the hood. For some reason it crapped out and in the process of confirming this I hit the hot lug with a jumper to the chassis for a split second. I didnt even see arcing but heard a light “snap” noise, instantly knew what I did. Bypassed disconnect for the time being and all is well. I was assuming i would have at least found one blown fuse but everything seems fine so far. Just wanted to pick y’alls brains on why that is, and if any damage was done, why or why not.
Seems to me if your talking about a chevy. That the hot lug touching chassie I guess you mean fender skirt core support fender edge ? With the battery cable well I'm thinking the path back to ground goes through the body ground (wire).as for the poping sound or tick... if you vehicle has the side post cables ? could it be the sound is from its connection? Or at the body ground connection ? Your guess is good as mine .I agree with the previous reply if it isn't broke dont fix it l o l....

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
If you want to be sure about the state of your battery, get a load/pile tester and do a load test on it. That will tell you if it is up to snuff or not. A crippled or shorted cell will show up as a loss of voltage under load.

Nick

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I wouldn't worry about it. If everything works fine don't lose sleep over it. I've done it a bunch a times but not on my newer cars. I extra careful doing anything around the battery (good thing they are in the trunk). I could sap some module that controls the NASA Space Flight and create all sorts of stuff that won't work. My CTS Traction Control Light came ON, an alignment fixed it!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor