MALIBU 💀 Battery 🔋

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Riddle me this: car has been sitting in this cold *ss Boston winter 3 days.
Pretty high tight this car But! I remember
Popping in a battery about 2 years ago or less . Autozone at the time I said : that battery is all you got? So in a pinch I made the purchase.
That said I jumped the car boom 💥 she started right up . Drove her home 6 miles
Left her running as I cleaned her up .
Shut her off and again click click .

I believe I need a stronger battery.
Simple radio. But it started shutting off. The alpine, nothing fancy that’s pulling power like amps and stuff.

What do you think 🤔? Crappy battery?

Take a look. Thanks Dez ps new mini starter , new alternator , wires , the whole bit .

Attachments

• IMG_4773.jpeg
    IMG_4773.jpeg
    903.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4775.jpeg
    IMG_4775.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4774.jpeg
    IMG_4774.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 22

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Battery is either no good, or your alternator is not charging it. Battery size isn't the issue if it worked fine for the last 2 years. 2 years out of a battery nowadays isnt bad considering the quality

Reactions: 1 users

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Battery is either no good, or your alternator is not charging it. Battery size isn't the issue if it worked fine for the last 2 years. 2 years out of a battery nowadays isnt bad considering the quality
Thanks I’m gonna run a test on it tomorrow. Alt is a year old I noticed when I turn the alternator by hand it slips on the belt. As the belt is real tight?
Wonder if my wd40 party under the hood , as I was getting belt squeal , that is gone now I may add. Screwed it up . Making me nutz that I’m in tragic boston with no garage. South Florida. Here I come ! Des. Thanks man

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Thanks I’m gonna run a test on it tomorrow. Alt is a year old I noticed when I turn the alternator by hand it slips on the belt. As the belt is real tight?
Wonder if my wd40 party under the hood , as I was getting belt squeal , that is gone now I may add. Screwed it up . Making me nutz that I’m in tragic boston with no garage. South Florida. Here I come ! Des. Thanks man
Crank it up and get a multimeter on the alt to see if it's charging, check all the cable connections and grounds. The cold weather wreaks havoc on batteries. Good luck

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Crank it up and get a multimeter on the alt to see if it's charging, check all the cable connections and grounds. The cold weather wreaks havoc on batteries. Good luck
I agree. With the new alternator and associated wiring I'd start there by double checking that everything is routed correctly, connected tightly, and wired to the right pins on the connector plugs. This of course is if replacing the belt and setting the tension doesn't solve the issue. I'm also rockin' the cheap 650CCA Auto Zone battery at the moment and that sucker worked in -10°, repeatedly.

You could try cleaning the belt but they're cheap and it was squealing anyway. If it's slipped enough it could be slightly damaged too.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Jump it again and let it run. Check the voltage at the back of the Alt and at the Batt. Alt output should be around 14.5 ish volts. At the Batt. you should lose a little, so that voltage may be 14-14.3 volts.

14v something at the Alt means it's charging (right now, intermittent failure aside). 12v it's not.

14v at the Batt. means the Alt output is reaching the Batt. 12v means there's a problem in the wiring most likely.

Reactions: 3 users

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Jump it again and let it run. Check the voltage at the back of the Alt and at the Batt. Alt output should be around 14.5 ish volts. At the Batt. you should lose a little, so that voltage may be 14-14.3 volts.

14v something at the Alt means it's charging (right now, intermittent failure aside). 12v it's not.

14v at the Batt. means the Alt output is reaching the Batt. 12v means there's a problem in the wiring most likely.
Great advice as I’m learning. And the info is great!! Ps i noticed the alt with its slightly damaged belt !! There for the tension was a bit loose. Wella!! Tightened that b*tch up and 💥!! Such an obvious fix. But I’m 20° it starts or stalls for that matter all the hell !
Remind me to console my buddy who put it in for me. As the bolt mark was considerably 3/4 of a spread.
Now, do you think the belt was compromised? Or did he not effectively tighten it. ? New alt new belt last year
Summer to filthy winter. Thanks man Dez

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
I agree. With the new alternator and associated wiring I'd start there by double checking that everything is routed correctly, connected tightly, and wired to the right pins on the connector plugs. This of course is if replacing the belt and setting the tension doesn't solve the issue. I'm also rockin' the cheap 650CCA Auto Zone battery at the moment and that sucker worked in -10°, repeatedly.

You could try cleaning the belt but they're cheap and it was squealing anyway. If it's slipped enough it could be slightly damaged too.
Tighten the alternator as there was slip!!
The belt is compromised a little. So I must pop a new one on. Is there a good belt out there? Seems like I got one that is pretty cheap. Also can they stretch? Dez.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Yeah, they can stretch a little. I haven't done the belts on my Cutlass yet but have the AC Delco Fleet belt (green one) on my Sierra, and have had excellent results with Gatorback belts. The "Fleet" belts are of course intended for fleet vehicles which see a lot of use/abuse and the Gators have a unique rib design that really combats slippage, especially if caused due to misalignment.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I went looking around online and discovered that Goodyear Gatorback belts became Continental Elite after a deal was made in 2015, and then discontinued entirely around 2019. If you want one you'll need to find a NOS unit.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor