MALIBU 💀 Battery 🔋

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Yeah, they can stretch a little. I haven't done the belts on my Cutlass yet but have the AC Delco Fleet belt (green one) on my Sierra, and have had excellent results with Gatorback belts. The "Fleet" belts are of course intended for fleet vehicles which see a lot of use/abuse and the Gators have a unique rib design that really combats slippage, especially if caused due to misalignment.
I will locate one. Would you have the part no# 17° out there today. I refuse to leave the condo. Lol.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I will locate one. Would you have the part no# 17° out there today. I refuse to leave the condo. Lol.
Sorry, I do not. I'm sure a little online digging could conjure one up though.

Reactions: 1 user

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
As for wd 40 I don't care for it much it will dry off few days on metal, on belts I don't use good for checking for vacuume leaks spray on suspected leak area while running aside from that ,I swear by washing belts in ( gas on rag) gasoline yes gasoline I know not good for rubber but on car belts that have started squeeking it is better then anything I know .that said a chronic sqealer "proubly will need replaced, and the drive pully sandblasted .Aside from that as a test on the road for voltage drop ...try turning on everything and heater fan to(on) high it is advisable to familiarize yourself to the speed of the defrost blower on high( when working condition) the lights on, wipers going ,ect that fan speed will be the same at high speed unless something is a rye....slower speed you might not get your car to restart if you cut if off , get somewhere befor your motor dies so much for idiot lights....

Last edited:

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
As for wd 40 I don't care for it much it will dry off few days on metal, on belts I don't use good for checking for vacuume leaks spray on suspected leak area while running aside from that ,I swear by washing belts in ( gas on rag) gasoline yes gasoline I know not good for rubber but on car belts that have started squeeking it is better then anything I know .that said a chronic sqealer "proubly will need replaced, and the drive pully sandblasted .Aside from that as a test on the road for voltage drop ...try turning on everything and heater fan to(on) high it is advisable to familiarize yourself to the speed of the defrost blower on high( when working condition) the lights on, wipers going ,ect that fan speed will be the same at high speed unless something is a rye....slower speed you might not get your car to restart if you cut if off , get somewhere befor your motor dies so much for idiot lights....
Great info. I appreciate your words!!
Got the alt belt taugh. May need a 🐊 gator belt as im told. I see a lil fray?

The vacuum is a thing I must address next
As the idol is up and down as I move them around.

Would you know my first approach?
If I put it on heat it’s fine. Vent? The idol is higher as well as defrost! Thanks man. Dez

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I have been digging. I Donno what the name is. Lol
If you know the length of belt you need, the ones I was referring to with the unique rib design are "Goodyear Gatorback" and the "Continental Elite", and those are discontinued so you won't find them at a parts store. The other belt is simply an "AC Delco Fleet" unit, and again can be found by looking up your vehicle online or at the parts store. Both of these belts are visually quite different from the standard belt, as one is green and the other has ribbing that quite literally resembles the back of an alligator.

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
If you know the length of belt you need, the ones I was referring to with the unique rib design are "Goodyear Gatorback" and the "Continental Elite", and those are discontinued so you won't find them at a parts store. The other belt is simply an "AC Delco Fleet" unit, and again can be found by looking up your vehicle online or at the parts store. Both of these belts are visually quite different from the standard belt, as one is green and the other has ribbing that quite literally resembles the back of an alligator.
Thanks boss I will dig!! Dez

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Riddle me this: car has been sitting in this cold *ss Boston winter 3 days.
Pretty high tight this car But! I remember
Popping in a battery about 2 years ago or less . Autozone at the time I said : that battery is all you got? So in a pinch I made the purchase.
That said I jumped the car boom 💥 she started right up . Drove her home 6 miles
Left her running as I cleaned her up .
Shut her off and again click click .

I believe I need a stronger battery.
Simple radio. But it started shutting off. The alpine, nothing fancy that’s pulling power like amps and stuff.

What do you think 🤔? Crappy battery?

Take a look. Thanks Dez ps new mini starter , new alternator , wires , the whole bit .
The voltage regulator in the alternator could be faulty. It could be charging most of the time and intermittently not charging. They can even over charge which is not a good thing. If the alternature has less than (or more than) correct output while running try tapping it lightly with a hammer. Sounds dumb but often will bring the regulater back online. Still time to replace the alternator though. If battery voltage looks good it might be the starter solenoid is going.
Riddle me this: car has been sitting in this cold *ss Boston winter 3 days.
Pretty high tight this car But! I remember
Popping in a battery about 2 years ago or less . Autozone at the time I said : that battery is all you got? So in a pinch I made the purchase.
That said I jumped the car boom 💥 she started right up . Drove her home 6 miles
Left her running as I cleaned her up .
Shut her off and again click click .

I believe I need a stronger battery.
Simple radio. But it started shutting off. The alpine, nothing fancy that’s pulling power like amps and stuff.

What do you think 🤔? Crappy battery?

Take a look. Thanks Dez ps new mini starter , new alternator , wires , the whole bit .

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
The voltage regulator in the alternator could be faulty. It could be charging most of the time and intermittently not charging. They can even over charge which is not a good thing. If the alternature has less than (or more than) correct output while running try tapping it lightly with a hammer. Sounds dumb but often will bring the regulater back online. Still time to replace the alternator though. If battery voltage looks good it might be the starter solenoid is going.
Thanks max!! Valuable info!! I wil remember. As I tighten the belt and she seems to be ok. Thanks Dez

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor