Become The Key Master. Everything You Didn't Want To Know About Re-keying Your Locks

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Everyone loves a key that works. It's when the original key gets to be 40+ years old it really starts to suck trying to unlock the car or start it because everything is wore slap out.

To preface this, I'm not going to go through a grunch of GM part numbers. Why? They're like fasteners. GM superseded and interchanged part numbers faster than Taylor Swift goes through boyfriends. So if you want to know what's what with your particular application, you either need to do some due diligence and do some research, or ask questions because you can get LOST in a sea of part numbers trying to find the "correct" lock for your car.

I'm not talking about going to the box store and buying the chinesium pot metal that will last 2 years before the springs pop out of it. I'm talking about the REAL locks. GM (aka Briggs and Stratton [later Strattec]). B&S was the predominant supplier of locks and keys to GM for about 6,000 years. Save for the 40s when B&S had a big strike and car companies crapped bricks. They got a deal with B&S to manufacture their locks at the Rochester carb plant. Pretty ingenious.

For the MOST part, G-bodies use PRETTY much the same types of locks throughout the lineup and from brand to brand. Such as, some door locks from a pickup will fit your G-body. Chevy interchanges with Olds, etc. Some locks won't. Wagons are a unique breed, but here again, they share a lot of lock part numbers across the brands. So a Poncho wagon lock could very well fit your Malibu wagon.

1707261125652.png

1707261327752.png

There are basically 3 major part systems to a GM door/trunk lock. There's the lock cylinder, which is the part the key slides into. The cylinder rotates with the key in the case, aka sleeve. That's the outside part of the lock. This is the one that the cap and unit shutter which is designed with a mini key door of sorts that you push the key through to put it in the lock. The shutter keeps dirt and grime out of the lock. That's the intent, anyway. The shutter has two small springs on it to ensure it puts tension on the cylinder to keep it in place inside the case and keeps the shutter tight against the escutcheon again, to keep dirt out of the lock.

The locks are typically held in place with a U-type spring clip, and a gasket is slipped over the case and the back of the cap area squishes the gasket against the door as the clip is slid in from the rear. The small gasket keeps water out of the door. A pawl with a clip to hold it to the back of the lock is installed and hooks in to the lock rod mechanism in your doors.

Here's the absolute bat-sh*t crazy thing about the cylinders. Depending on when it was made, depends on the key slot that it uses. Go ahead, pull out your GM key for your G-body. It has a code letter stamped on one side of it. It's the key slot code that should match up with the lock key slot. Early versions, I believe MAYBE 1986 and prior, used a shutter that has a tab on it. My 85 has the tabbed lock shutters. By 1987, though, for sure, that tab was gone. The tab was only there to ensure you didn't try and put the key in upside down.

Early shutter version with tab (shown upside down)
1707270818065.png

Late version
1707270750634.png

Stranger yet, is that you have three different types of lock assemblies. You have the coded ones with keys and tumblers already installed. Basically a full lock ready to install. They come with a set of keys, and have keys to match the key slots in the lock. These are also known as restricted key slots because no other key code letter will fit the lock. There's also uncoded locks that have no tumblers installed, and no keys. The locks are basically bare shells. Strattec still sells kits that you can "build" your own lock.

There is also what they call an urestricted lock. Also known as a universal. The key slot is basically cut where it will accept ANY key code you wish, as long as it's a GM key for the lock. Some aftermarket ignition locks are universal. For example, you can have an A key fit and function in a universal lock, but you can also slide in a C key as well. If the C key is cut the same as the A key, it also will turn the lock. Note, not all lock assemblies are universal.

The latest uncoded lock number for the G-bodies does happen to be universal. So if you have a B or D key, your key will physically enter the lock. 12398554 is one that comes to mind.

The kit has almost everything you need. Even comes with black shutter and cap for those without "chrome". You will need to get tumblers and springs and the spring retainer (. But that's it. Then you can take your original key and use the tumblers to match it to your key. Or, if you are trying to match sets, you can use any key code you wish and get a key cut and then match the tumblers to get a full set.

1707270959950.png

Now, you're saying..."But what about the glovebox?" Well, crap. The glovebox lock is a stupid snap in deal with a round rotating head and your secondary (oval) key is what operates this. So the oval key does doors, trunk, and glovebox. The ignition key does...well, just the ignition.

The glovebox uses only 4 tumblers. And they're not the same type of tumbler as in the door or trunk locks.

Ideally, you only want ONE key for ignition and ONE key for the doors/trunk/glovebox. If you don't care about having a bunch of keys, then you don't have to do anything but buy lock sets.

Door lock and trunk tumblers
mQPGGfbLmOF3Dwmas8J5nkQwXOzFgI8SJg--7JrdLNAP42UY2iL_l_8vbLYXH2PSHnpKHpKCfCrB3AuXyNsWcwzd-skj5QcXu-NGti_JOkh-Yw7Nl033y2dU3hfqng8

And a glovebox lock tumblers
VPYI2ub8B6eZV9b6bXDfK9llqElERz0BcnShofFQe-82gXoM_aHU8LIKVhc2eNcMIJ3RlerQrRUL6duHAzkbyHTW93jszL3qYk6_j3rgIHzVM_TNi-KuBkciyE2BbA

Here's a set from Jegs that comes coded with keys. All you would need to do now is recode your door locks and trunk lock to match (if you have universal key slot or B keys) and you're golden. It's probably easier to do the other locks because the glovebox lock is such a PITA to remove. Or I'm just too lazy. Haha.
1707271383877.png

So how do these locks work?

keylock-sidebar.jpg

Look at the key tumblers above. Each has a wedge notch on the right that varies in height by about 0.025". They're held in with springs. Without the key in it, there is a spring loaded side bar that wants to move toward the center of the cylinder. But the tumblers keep the bar extended which fits in a groove in the casing. So when the key is out, the side bar keeps the lock cylinder from turning. When the right key with the correct code matching each tumblers wedge height is inserted, the tumbler slots all line up to allow the side bar to be pushed by its springs inward and releases the cylinder. Now it can be rotated.

Ignition locks are USUALLY coded and come with keys. This is a good thing. Early snap in styles have a little gate near the end of the cylinder inside the column that keeps the ignition lock from coming out. Later versions had a notch in the bottom of them that utilized a retaining screw that went into the column and blocked the lock from coming out of the column. Either is NOT easy to take apart. This is one time I'd just buy the lock and key set and roll with it. It's the only key you need anyway for the ignition. Although it is a bear to find a GM A key ignition switch.

Early lock
1707277301578.png

Later lock style. Note the notch.
1707277488285.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 9 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
And now, the keys. This gets crazy when you think of all the cuts on one. There's actually only 6 cuts to a GM key for our G-bodies.

Here's an excellent writeup on key types and comparisons to the key slots:

Here are all the factory key slots used for each year. For the longest time, GM used a 4 year cycle of keys. So every 4 years the cycle would repeat. First letter is the igntion key, second letter is the secondary key for the trunk/doors/glovebox. Note that in 1984, they skipped the changing of key slots every year. So 1983-1986 used the same A/B keys, and 87-90 used C/D. 1981 was the ONLY year our cars used E and H. As you can see, it makes a difference on when the lock was made if there's a restricted keyway as to which key slot options you get when you buy coded locks that come with keys.
1978 - (J, K)
1979 - (A, B)
1980 - (C, D)
1981 - (E, H)
1982 - (J, K)
1983 to 1986 - (A, B)
1987 to 1990 - (C, D)

The word is, Rochester Products made GM keys from 69-up as well as B&S. The Rochester keys have the letter codes readable straight up and down when the key is insterted into the column. The B&S keys had the letter code straight up and down when the key was pointed down toward the ground.

Now, lets say you have a pre-delivery inspection sheet with your original paperwork you lucked up with and someone filled out the 4 digit alpha-numeric key codes in the blank where it says "keys". Or the knockouts with those 4 digit codes were saved for whatever reason and you kept them. As long as you have this code, you can get a key cut for your car without knowing the specific 6 number cut codes. GM had sheets for each year that they'd send to dealers with all these codes for production vehicles and eventually they went to a "code" book. You would look up the code and it would show a corresponding 6 number key cut code. Viola! New keys for your car. Locksmiths have access to these codes as well.

Note here there is a 4 digit code on the key's knockout plug. 1E58. According to the code book, the key is a J key from 1970 with a cut code of 545343. With 5 being the deepest cuts and 1 being basically no cut.
1707304133178.png

I can tell just by looking at the keys above, the cut code is 545343. Going from the head of the key to the tip, you note the first cut is a deep one, all the way to the lower edge of the land. This equates to a 5 cut. The third cut over is also a 5 cut as it matches the depth. In between those 5 cuts, there's a slightly shallower cut, so it must be a 4. Thus, the first 3 cuts are 545. Also, note the 4th cut from the head is shallower yet just by a tad from the 4 cut. So that should be a 3. Then a slightly deeper cut (4) and back shallower just a tad for a 3. Or 343. So the 545343 cuts check out correctly.

The mid-80s keys have a unique little feature on them that allows me to determine whether the key is a genuine factory-supplied key or not.

Also, early keys have grooves that are deeper and the keys are just a bit longer. So if you get newer style keys, they MAY not go deep enough to operate the lock correctly. Always check the length. Let me add that this isn't a big problem any longer as those longer keys were for 69-earlier 70s models. By the 78-88 time frame, it wasn't the case. But that's why you need to check lengths if you find some NOS keys to cut. Check the length and the letter key slot code to make sure it matches up with your old key.

So let's say you don't have a 4 digit key code. There's a couple ways you can find out.

Some of the factory locks have the 4 digit key code stamped into the casing. Not all do, but older ones for sure did, as well as ignition locks. If it's been replaced, the likelihood of that happening is unlikely.

1707274156507-png.234719

If you have a set of dial calipers (or digital), you can measure your key. About an 1/8" away from the shoulder of the key bottom, you should find the center of the first cut. Then go from there. Once you get the hang of it, you can just LOOK at a GM 6 cut key and figure out the cut code. Does it have to be exact? No. Because of wear, you're likely to measure a little thinner than original. But you can tell if you're close to one of the measurements below for the root cut depths.

keycut-geometry.jpg

There's a tad more to it than this, but the diagram gives you an idea of the tedious work this can be.
Tumbler work.jpg

Anyway, this doesn't even ATTEMPT to cover all the bases when it comes to keys and re-keying locks. Patience and a decent supply of springs/tumblers are really all you need. Ok, a replacement cap or two as well.

Once you're armed with the key cut codes, you can get your key cut at ANY locksmith.

Can you reverse the key cut code and find your 4 digit alpha-numeric code? Kinda. Although it would take some time searching through a phone book looking for a particular 6 number sequence. Unfortunately, it's not set up for that. But it can be done if you have a lot of time to waste.

Here's a sample of a code book. You could see it's pretty much a one-way street on codes. It CAN be done, but it's a long process.
1707305318389.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 9 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Wow, helluva write up! This needs to be a sticky so it's always around to refer to.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Great write up! While I can re-key an entire house, car keys give me fits. And while I hate NOPAR stuff, I have re-keyed two new Jeep Cherokee ignition locks. All you need are a little bag of Fleabay tumblers, and you can re-key it 123. Gm could learn a thing about that. I actually saved all the locks from my 1968 Firebird hardtop to use on my convertible. That is how much I hate GM locks. Maybe with this info I will give it a go again.

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
That's an impressive amount of very detailed information. Thank you for sharing with us.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You can always leave all the tumblers out where any key that fits the slot can operate the lock. Who would really think about trying any old key in the lock?

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
any old key in the lock
When I was a kid, and we used to bolt side-shaft lawn mower engines to bicycles, I knew a guy that roamed around the neighborhood with a huge ring of keys. He tried them all on garage doors looking to steal stuff. You would not believe how many random keys worked on garage door locks. Of course nowadays cars don't even use keys, so, who would even have a classic GM key to try?

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
To where do I send my money order covering the shipping and handling so that i can buy a hard print copy of this? Grabbing a copy off the board might/might not work as I have tried with previous posts that I have thought hightly valuable or interesting but had no joy with the download.

CopperNick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor