Converting to efi

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Humor me on this..... find someone partting out their early to mid 90s camaro z28 and pull all the TPI setup from the car for cheap and go that route and rework it, it'll be a unique look for sure in a malibu.

Sorry to say it wont allow you to net 400hp/400tq that you want, but you'll have your EFI just "start and go" like you want, i know its not the best, but i remember falling in love with that tuned port design when i first layed eyes on it and i wanted that setup so bad, but unfortunately i stuck to carbureted systems way back when.

Attachments

• 1992 Chevy CamaroZ28 engine.jpg
    1992 Chevy CamaroZ28 engine.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: 1 user

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Humor me on this..... find someone partting out their early to mid 90s camaro z28 and pull all the TPI setup from the car for cheap and go that route and rework it, it'll be a unique look for sure in a malibu.

Sorry to say it wont allow you to net 400hp/400tq that you want, but you'll have your EFI just "start and go" like you want, i know its not the best, but i remember falling in love with that tuned port design when i first layed eyes on it and i wanted that setup so bad, but unfortunately i stuck to carbureted systems way back when.
that's an interesting idea....to be honest at the moment I would be willing to forgo the hp/trq for start and go....plus it would give me an opportunity to learn new some new tech..well new to me...

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
All good until about 4500RPM..then a brick wall.
With a stock ECU and cam. 5500 is what I found with a mild cam and more than stick compression. At 6000 it was obvious it was unhappy.

Yup, all mid range. No low end and no top end.
Actually, the low end torque still is the best GM ever did. The torque below 3500 is insane.

that's an interesting idea....to be honest at the moment I would be willing to forgo the hp/trq for start and go....plus it would give me an opportunity to learn new some new tech..well new to me...

My son has three TPI setups. One is really pretty and sitting on a 327. The other two are on a shelf in my basement. If you want easy and relatively cheap, a Megasquirt 2 with a Megasquirt relay board is virtually plug and play with a GM TPI. Extremely tuneable and very easy. The hardware is about $800. Then you need an O2 sensor, injectors, pump and a harness. The harness is not hard to build with most of the connectors out of the junkyard (get new injector connectors). All in for $2k easily.

I had a build thread for an 80 Cutlass SBC Street/Strip that I started in’16. I tried to copy the link and paste it here, but I couldn’t pull it off with my phone.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
That's what I've always known with them, gobs of torque fast because the air volume was there, it was just trying to get the port velocity out of that 28" runner to sustain the power..

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
When I say low end I mean low end, not low end of a WOT pull. They are weak down low where most hot rodders don't care, so they're not great truck intakes. Fine for a car but stock for stock they get walked by something better, and mod for mod I imagine as well. I personally wouldn't touch one, but I understand there are people that are all about them.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
When I say low end I mean low end, not low end of a WOT pull. They are weak down low where most hot rodders don't care, so they're not great truck intakes. Fine for a car but stock for stock they get walked by something better, and mod for mod I imagine as well. I personally wouldn't touch one, but I understand there are people that are all about them.
IROC Z stuff man..

Joe Dirt 2 Day GIF

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I disagree. They are a great truck intake ina small motor (sub 400”). The torque is not even measurable as compared to anything else. It takes VVT to compete with the torque production of a TPI setup. As mentioned by Built6spdMCSS , 2’ long small runners work at low rpm.

I don’t want to sound argumentative, but these do work for a specific application. And beyond that, imo there isn’t a better looking setup for EFI.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor