GRAND PRIX dash light and gauge problems

1983gp

n00b
Jan 8, 2024
I've been stalking the forums for a while but figured you guys might be able to help me with this problem. I mainly drive my car in the daytime and never noticed the problem, but now that I drive it when it's darker I have found that when I turn my dash lights all my electric gauges stop working (clock, fuel gauge, voltage, etc). Im thinking it might be in the light knob or a ground in the dash. or a short. I'm not super knowledgeable in electrical, but I can do the basic work. it's a grand prix LJ with rally gauges

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My guess is it'll most likely be a grounding of the gauge circuit (circuit 39, pink/black stripe wire) with the dash lighting circuit (circuit 8, gray wire) by bare wires some where in the harness or a bad cluster circuit board (either speedo or waring light/gauge cluster). Best is to work with the clusters then into the harness. You won't want to rush this job when you get into it. also get your hands on a service manual which will have the needed diagrams & break downs on the dash.

Reactions: 2 users

1983gp

n00b
Jan 8, 2024
My guess is it'll most likely be a grounding of the gauge circuit (circuit 39, pink/black stripe wire) with the dash lighting circuit (circuit 8, gray wire) by bare wires some where in the harness or a bad cluster circuit board (either speedo or waring light/gauge cluster). Best is to work with the clusters then into the harness. You won't want to rush this job when you get into it. also get your hands on a service manual which will have the needed diagrams & break downs on the dash.
Thanks so much! I’ll probably try to figure it out today, I’ve gotta pull the dash already to put an oem radio back in.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor