delay wiper conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
Has anyone done this? I have a nrw colunm and a delay wiper motor. I pinned out the new colunm to the factory harness and I can onky get the motor to run on low in the hi speed withthe washers squirting. Thanks

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Did you add the green wire to the engine side of the harness for the additional terminal on the pulse wiper motor?

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
I already had the green one in the harness of my 82. Not sure of the yr the column though.
My harness has these wires:
A- empty
B- red
C- black
D- grey
E- purple
F- green
The colunm harness has these waires:
A- empty
B- white
C- grey
D- green
E- purple/white
F- pink

I moved them to match and I can get the wipers to come on by themselves and then stop. My alternator is now making a humming with the key on. When I did a plug and play with the wires as above all I got was a clicking when trying to turn on the wipers.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
speaking of this to convert from standard to delay do i just purchase the motor with the delay ??

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Carefull!! You must use the same series wiper motor and switch. The early series is up to 83' and is negative switched which means the wiper motor is fed hot current and the switch grounds to operate it. The newer series is 84' and up and is positive switched, which means the switch is fed hot current and that is sent to the motor to operate it. You cannot mix them together! The green wire is the delay function and it is in the car harness but not used unless the delay option was purchased. Since you have an 82' you have the negative switched type and that is what kind of wiper motor you must use. If you have a white wire in your new column, it is the positive switched type and will not work. Was your old column a delay type switch? The easy way out is to swap your old column switch into the new column and the harness will match right up. To further confuse things, there are 4 switches available- standard/non tilt, standard/tilt, delay/non tilt, and delay/tilt. Be warned that purchasing a new delay wiper switch w/tilt for the old style system is going for over $100. A shadetree way out is to buy a JC Whitney wiper delay box and it will work fine with a non-delay switch as long as you have a true delay wiper motor w/the green wire.

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
Thats what I got after reading up on the motors. I am going to keep the non-delay and I picked up a tilt non-delay switch from Rock Auto for 25 bucks. I am getting ready to wire it back up. Thanks for the info!!!!

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I was sorta doing the same thing. I swapped a complete 85 interior and wiring harness into my 81 body. I used all the wiring from the 85 and the wiper motor too. I have low and high wipers but no intermediates. As soon as I go to intermediate on the switch when the wipers are moving they stop. Loose all current.

Is there a relay box somewhere I forgot? It seems like the car would have intermediates as it has the switch and was a relatively decent optioned car.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
There is no "intermediate' setting, it goes: mist-off-delay-low-high. There is a pulse/timer relay inside the wiper motor cover. Does "mist" setting work? That is essentially a one-or two-cycle application of the "delay" mode. An 84' and up factory manual has the troubleshooting charts and can explain it better than I can. If you could substitute a known good wiper motor that would eliminate the motor itself which has a solid state circuit board for the delay function.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Yeah, when I said intermediate I ment delay, duh on my part. My mist does work. Only thing that doesnt work is the delay and washer pump.

Probably isnt a bad idea to get a 85 factory manual. Have a 1980 Monte/Malibu one but a 85 olds one would be great.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
OK, that's why I suggested trying a known good motor. The delay is a pretty complicated little device and is not serviceable, it just gets replaced, and yes there is a delay relay in there too. The manual gets into it deep, I couldn't even try to paraphrase it here. In fact the Fischer Body manual dedicates a whole thick chapter just to the wiper system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor