did i toast my 700r4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
So, on my way to work my car ran great. No problems. Went to stop at a stoplight and then all of a sudden my 700r4 will hold first for days. I left work and had to pull over about four times because if i put the tv cable all the way in it would shift really early and i finally got it working to my liking. Then i had to kick it down for a big hill and it held third until like 3800rpm. It seems to be once i get it half right it runs fine. And then i stop and it starts acting up again.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Their known for the spool valve sticking in the Governor assembly. Remove the Governor and disassemble it. Check the springs and the centrifugal weights for movement. If all is good clean er up and re- install and set the cable.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
Pontiac455 said:
Their known for the spool valve sticking in the Governor assembly. Remove the Governor and disassemble it. Check the springs and the centrifugal weights for movement. If all is good clean er up and re- install and set the cable.
I read this somewhere else too. Where is the governer? Sorry i sound stupid. But the trans ran fine, sat for two months, and then we got this motor put back together and it's been fine for about three days and then all this happened

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
Eureka......that is what mine is doing but it holding 2nd gear and wont go to third everytime.....when I start it is sluggish to third and runs better after warmer but later is slips out of third....I was planning on buying a different kick down cable set up and adjust it to work before I consider putting in another 700r4......Power Tour is only 90 days away..............

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
79cutlasssalon442 said:
I read this somewhere else too. Where is the governer? Sorry i sound stupid. But the trans ran fine, sat for two months, and then we got this motor put back together and it's been fine for about three days and then all this happened

The governor is located driver side near tail housing. Depending on space you may have to remove cross member to lower rear of trans for good access. You just pry the cap off like a wheel bearing cover and it is right there. Make sure that area is clean of all debris and that the governor assembly is clean and springs are all intact.

Attachments

• 700r4.jpg
    700r4.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 280

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
Well, she's gone. Apparently they dont run for long with 500 flywheel horsepower. A couple brakestands and a few launches probably didnt help it. But when third and fourth were no longer there, i figured might as well go out with a bang..

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
How did you come up with 500 flywheel horsepower? Not meaning to jack the thread but I cant remember what engine you ended up going with.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
-83MONTESS- said:
How did you come up with 500 flywheel horsepower? Not meaning to jack the thread but I cant remember what engine you ended up going with.
Well i'm not saying it has EXACTLY 500. I was giving a rough estimate. Went with a 350 bored .040 over. Flat top aluminum pistons. Hastings moly rings. 10:1 compression. 062 vortec heads. Comp cams xe268 cam. Weiand stealth intake and an edelbrock 600cfm carb. My holley kept dumping gas and it was all nasty inside so we just figured start fresh. Its a nasty motor. It'll spin both back tires at 30 on dry pavement without a problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor