Distributor oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
Hello everybody! I got a strange problem and can't figure out what causes it.

While driving I smelt a lot of fumes inside of the car. My first guess was the exhaust leaking, but nope, everything tight. A second look threw me off, as I had quite a lot of oil on top of the intake manifold at the rear of the engine, just below the distributor (HEI). After disassembling the distributor to remove it from the engine, in order to rplace the gasket, I discovered to be a little oil spill inside the distributor head.

This can't be good, so I checked for the most obvious possibility: crank case ventilation. It works just fine. The PCV is working properly and the vacuum at the carburator base is strong enough to let feel the airflow on the breather of the opposite valve cover.

The question now is to why there is such an oil mess if there shouldn't be any? Everything else on the engine works fine too. The oil pressure while driving is always perfectly where it should be...

Any advice is welcome, as I am out of ideas and i don't want to do the job over again...

TheHomie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2015
I had a problem with oil accumulating on the back of the intake manifold. It turned out to be a bolt on the manifold was leaking oil. The fan and the air when driving made it accumulate toward the back of the engine. Basically what I am saying is it could be a leak more forward. Also some of the aftermarket distributer hold down clamps have a lip on the ends that has to be facing up. If facing down it may interfere with the proper tightening. Cant think of anything else. (also check the fitting in the rear of the manifold. )

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Does your distributor shaft have a hole to release the oil pressure? I had the same problem with the stock distributor but not with an MSD distributor. Here is a picture of the hole that releases the oil pressure in the shaft of an msd distributor I am rebuilding

IMG_20150729_103450.jpg

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
I had a problem with oil accumulating on the back of the intake manifold. It turned out to be a bolt on the manifold was leaking oil. The fan and the air when driving made it accumulate toward the back of the engine. Basically what I am saying is it could be a leak more forward. Also some of the aftermarket distributer hold down clamps have a lip on the ends that has to be facing up. If facing down it may interfere with the proper tightening. Cant think of anything else. (also check the fitting in the rear of the manifold. )

I checked the bolts and they're all to specs, none was lose.The clamp can only be mounted one way, and it was in a correct position.

Does your distributor shaft have a hole to release the oil pressure?

Nope, no hole in it. The distributor was made by Chevrolet Performance. Here is the link to it on Summit Racing:
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/nal-93440806

It worked like a charm for 9 years now, until today, when i found the engine oil inside and below it... It was never pushed to any limits. Only recreational/casualy cruise

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there is some felt at the top of the distributor shaft. There is a seal under that that may be worn

ign24.jpg

0900c15280083b25.gif

Last edited:

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
pontiacgp thank you very much for these two images! i will get to work tomorrow and see if i can break it down further! Good thing is, i won't have to wait weeks for a new seal! there's a shop no far from here that can recreate any seal or gasket as long as you have bits of the original one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor