Electric Fan Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fig865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
First off, I apologize if this info is in another thread. I've searched a while and haven't found it. I did find the attached diagram but was hoping someone could help with the parts. I know that there are popular fan assemblies out there (Taurus, Intrepid, ect.) but it's the other stuff I was hoping to find out. Has anyone kept track of part #s of these items to make it a little easier for me to do a budget fan swap?

Circuit Breaker-
Relay-
Sending Unit or Thermo Switch-

Or better yet, anyone selling these items already in a package? Thanks!

Attachments

• Elec Fan Wiring.jpg
    Elec Fan Wiring.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,102

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I would just go to your local parts store and get an electric fan controller. They come in a couple of types depending on what your thermostat is. I would recommend getting one that has an adjustable set point for on/off and has a screw in type temperature probe.

This is the exact one that I use in my car with a dual fan setup out of a 96 Chrysler Cirrus.

http://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...r-works-electric-fan-thermostat/467214_9584_0

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I use a Ford Thunderbird fan and a Volvo fan controller and a BMW temp switch. You can google "Volvo Fan Controller and Ford Taurus Fans" and you will get a bunch of results. The temp switch closes at 195°F, then the fan comes on. The BMW switch is cool because it has two temps for two fan speeds.
I think i paid around $150 for everything. I cut up the electric fan shroud to fit into my stock shroud and it fits in perfect. Cant even tell its there!

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
That wiring diagram appears to be from someone's "kit" and isn't that helpful for a DIY. If you don't have enough electronic spaghetti in your life, here is a dual speed/dual fan diagram I drew:
Fan control higlowdiagram.jpg

If you get a 300M fan from the junkyard, it has 2 relays attached to it that can be made into the SPDT shown, then you just need two SPST relays for the "Fan On" and "Hi/Lo switch" relays. The Junkyard usually sells 300M fans for about $35 and most junkyards have a few of them.

In low speed this setup only draws about 3 Amps, so coming on with the ignition is not a huge hit.

Reactions: 1 user

fig865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That wiring diagram appears to be from someone's "kit" and isn't that helpful for a DIY. If you don't have enough electronic spaghetti in your life, here is a dual speed/dual fan diagram I drew:
View attachment 63569

If you get a 300M fan from the junkyard, it has 2 relays attached to it that can be made into the SPDT shown, then you just need two SPST relays for the "Fan On" and "Hi/Lo switch" relays. The Junkyard usually sells 300M fans for about $35 and most junkyards have a few of them.

In low speed this setup only draws about 3 Amps, so coming on with the ignition is not a huge hit.

Where would be the best place to get the SPST relays if I found a 300M fan setup? And then I would also need to know what Temp sensor to use right?

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Where would be the best place to get the SPST relays if I found a 300M fan setup?

Any Auto parts store like O'Reilly's or Autozone will have Relays/harnesses. They are Cheaper off E-bay. You want 30 Amp relays. Many harnesses use different color wires than I have shown. The wire colors in my diagram correspond to the colors/pole numbers marked on the relays.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
My Grand Prix is using a junkyard Taurus fan. I power it with a junkyard Volvo fan relay, and am only using it in the LOW speed setting. For the time being, I have a toggle switch on the dash to send the (low-power) ground signal that trips the relay and turns on the fan. Since the Volvo relay handles the power, I did not need to buy any other hardware other than the toggle switch which I had lying around. (I did not install a dedicated temp sensor to do this because I will soon install FiTech EFI, and it can send out the required ground signal for me.)

BTW: SPST relays are as common as dirt. You can find them at every AutoZone/O'Reilly's/etc store, plus Wal-Mart, and so on. I've installed a few of them underhood for other functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor