engine and fuel system swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartellCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2013
Good day out there. Newbie to the forum, but happy and optimistic to be here. Anyways I have a 1980 Monte Carlo that had grammas old 305 2bbl and swapped it out to a 383 stroker :twisted: Also went with a holley red electronic fuel pump which I mounted in front of the rear axle passenger side...we got it running and timed nicely, but than after about ten mins of running it stalls out :?: I put an inline screen filter before the Holley pump and another fuel filter before the carb. I called holley tech/hotline..the guy told me that there's another in tank filter that could be "choking" the fuel line out..????

Has anybody ever had a problem like this? My very first mod/custom vehicle ever BTW.
PS...I have the pump wired to ign power in the fuse box.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
Welcome aboard! as to your question, I have in the past had bad experiences with the inline filters on another car I have, seems they have a tendency to allow air to build up in them and caused same issues your describing. I took them off and problem went away. Good Luck! John

MartellCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2013
I considered removing the inline screen filter that is between the fuel tank and pump...it is not recommended due to a good chance of little debris clogging and /or pump damage. Unless there is definitely a filter of some sort in the tank itself from the fuel outlet?

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
remove the filter before the carb. that's where my issue was also.

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
something else to consider is pressure ( vacuum) building up in the tank. Try removing the gas cap. Are you using a return line to the gas tank? Normal operation on a FI(TPI) car is to have about 2 psi of pressure in the tank ( created by the return fuel under pressure). This pressure helps the pump to prime and run. Over 2 psi, and the valve in the charcoal cannister opens up to vent the tank. If you have no venting, then you could be creating a vacuum in the tank, making it more difficult to pull the fuel out. Just something to think about.

MartellCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2013
Got no return line hooked up considering I went to an edelbrock carb and was told that I'm past that now (all those vacuum lines). The Holley electric fuel pump is set at 7psi and 80gph. I'm pretty weary about not using a fuel filter also. Yesterday I fired up the car and yes it stalled again after a few mins of running. Checked the pump to the touch and it feels a bit hot. I have a heat shield separating the pump and exhaust. It stalls even while sitting or driving highway speeds which should even keep it air cooled.

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
The sending unit has a "sock" type filter on it that could be plugged, anytime I installed an electric pump I removed the sock from the sending unit and installed a 60-80 micron screen type filter at the pump inlet, then a stainless "log" style filter before the motor, since the pump is getting hot I'm gonna guess and say the sock in the tank is plugged, every motor should have a fuel pressure gauge at the carb, to ensure its a fuel issue, could be something else, pull the sock filter install a gauge and see what it does

MartellCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2013
A sock filter? That must be what the Holley tech was talking about...how would I remove this sock type deal?

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
Remove the sending unit it is on the end of the pick up line, you can just take it off the line

MartellCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2013
So were talking about dropping the fuel tank. Remove the sending unit and just take that "sock " filter off ...

*UPDATE* I removed the tank (last fall and forgot to reply) but there was the fuel sock in the tank on the fuel line which I removed and she stays running! thx guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor