Engine build question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Ok, I was breaking down my engine and i had left to go grab some degreaser to come back home and see my piston are out laying beside each other on the table my drunk *ss uncle removed them with out numbering them i wanted to know is it going to be a problem getting them back in do they have to go in how they came out?

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
TeezySupreme said:
Ok, I was breaking down my engine and i had left to go grab some degreaser to come back home and see my piston are out laying beside each other on the table my drunk *ss uncle removed them with out numbering them i wanted to know is it going to be a problem getting them back in do they have to go in how they came out?
Gotta love them drunk uncles! cant kill em, cant live w/em.... :blam:

If you are gonna re ring it, new bearings, etc....shouldnt be a big deal. Use a micrometer to measure them and if you have a few that are slightly smaller/larger than measure the cylinders to match them up.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
bill said:
TeezySupreme said:
Gotta love them drunk uncles! cant kill em, cant live w/em.... :blam:

If you are gonna re ring it, new bearings, etc....shouldnt be a big deal.

Lol, tell me about it but yes i was going to do that and bore it while i'm at it.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
if you bore it, can't reuse the pistons anyway...

... if you do plan to reuse them, have them honed, or deglaze them yourself with "do-it-yourself" honing tool. And install new rings

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Funny thing about drunk uncles....they are usually smarter than we give them credit for ..... if he knew that you were gonna bore it, he wasnt concerned about numbering them cause it wont matter as Khan said....so....buy him a sixpack for his troubles....lol

78 salon

Greasemonkey
May 3, 2009
Brookfield, Ill
Shouldn't be that bad. Look on the cyl. block deck. You should see some letters like A-D stamped near the bores. Those are fact. markings for slightly over pistons. Pistons(if factory) will have the same stampings. Match them up, then put the ones without stampings, in whichever hole you like, as long as the "notch" faces forward.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
bill said:
Funny thing about drunk uncles....they are usually smarter than we give them credit for ..... if he knew that you were gonna bore it, he wasnt concerned about numbering them cause it wont matter as Khan said....so....buy him a sixpack for his troubles....lol

Lol, he didn't even know but I might do that for him.

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
The cam should be fine, even with an automatic trans with stock converter. In fact I would look for it to idle fairly smoothly in a 350. Your compression ratio is another matter, flat top pistons and shaved heads, do some math and look at the compression, there are sites that will help you to figure comp.ratio taking into account things like chamber volume, head gasket space and such. I am afraid it will be a little high, and you will be tied to a premium gas pump the whole time you run it. Just my 2 cents.

Jimmy

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
tetomas said:
The cam should be fine, even with an automatic trans with stock converter. In fact I would look for it to idle fairly smoothly in a 350. Your compression ratio is another matter, flat top pistons and shaved heads, do some math and look at the compression, there are sites that will help you to figure comp.ratio taking into account things like chamber volume, head gasket space and such. I am afraid it will be a little high, and you will be tied to a premium gas pump the whole time you run it. Just my 2 cents.

Jimmy

Thanks, for the information Jimmy I really appreciate that and ill do the math.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor