Engine building question

Status
Not open for further replies.

D's350GP

Apprentice
Aug 14, 2006
Ive been thinking about this for a little while, and id like to get a second opinion about it. The 350 thats going in the GP is the first engine ive ever "built", so im using a rebuild guide and the advice of a friend of mine that has experiece building motors. id like to follow the book to the letter, to make sure everything is done the right way, but the problem is this. when installing the pistons: i went to each cylinder and ground the rings to match, put them in the pistons, lubed everything up real well, and didnt force any of the pistons in the cylinders. the manual says that when all 8 pistons are in the block that it shouldnt be difficult to turn the crank. when i go to turn it, i have to give it some force initially to get it to rotate. my friend says that its fine and his blocks have felt the same way, but id like to be sure about it. So how much force should it take to turn the crank?Thanks

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I believe that your friend is right. Keep in mind that there is a certain amount of tension between the piston rings and the cylinder walls, and when you multiply that by 8 pistons, you will need to exert some force to get the crankshaft to start moving. once the crankshaft is turning, then keeping it turning will be easier. I don't know if there is a specification for the breakaway torque required to get the crankshaft to start moving, or a spec for the torque required to keep it turning, but I would imagine that there is probably a listing in a manual somewhere for this. Hope this helps.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
That tension will be there untill the rings break in. run of the mill iron rings break in fast, and hi perf/racing rings take longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor