Engine in my Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

86cutlass4dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2009
So here goes, i bought a pair of 455 buicks for my cutlass, both need a good rebuild, but one appears that i could get away with bearing and gaskets. I priced out the stuff tonight and its right close to 350 bucks. I also found a running 350 buick, which practically falls right into place with the 3.8 mounts. The question is do i throw 350 bucks at the 455 and hope thats all it need or do i spend 400 buy the 350, and rebuild the 455 from top to bottom? My 3.8 is better off as a boat anchor right now. Either way this car will end up with a 455. Im just not sure if i should go straight to a 455 or goto the 350 for now.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Tear down & inspect your 455s. Keep driving it with the 3.8 to save your money & time for the 455. After they are apart & you have inspected and priced machine work & parts you will be able to figure out what to do. Its almost always just do the next steps that you are sure of & can afford at this time & or with the least amount of financial commitment.

86cutlass4dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2009
Thanks, guess i shouldve gave a little more info on my 3.8, it runs like a bag of crap. Vaccum leaks everywhere, i get about 5mpg with it. Stalls at stop lights if i dont dual foot it. Basically costing me a ton of money in fuel.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Vacume hose is cheap & easy to fix as is an o2 sensor new plugs even a carb refresh is not expensive or time consuming in comparison to buying & possibly yanking another engine then yanking the 3.8 then installing adding fluids & debugging misc issues that will come with the 350. But if you need to sure. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN
if your at 5mpg now, might as well do up the 455! With the tq from the BB it'll be a fun car. Time to see what TA Performance has for ya

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor