170cc runners
1.94 valve int
1.50 exh

Comp cams XE268H-10 cam and lfter set

summit stamped steel roller rockers

Edelbrock performer rpm intake

Holley 770cfm street avenger carb, dual feed,electric choke

all this for about 1,485 plus shipping
does anyone have any experience with these parts? Good/Bad? does this sound like a good package or is there somthing better than this?

hoping to maybe break the 400hp mark :twisted:

later

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would consider the Patriot Performance heads instead of the Vortecs. The reason is, they can take more lift stock than the Vortecs and have similar flow and power numbers. To use that cam with the Vortec heads, you will have to have them modified for different springs or run beehive springs, plus you may need to cut down the valve guide bosses. The price is similar and the Patriots are aluminum. I have no actual experience with either head, but to me it makes sense on a mild street engine. I would also consider going with the Comp Magnum rockers instead. Nice quality piece and more accurate ratios as they are cast and not stamped. I have a set and am very happy with them. I had a cheap set of stamped roller tip Proform rockers previously, and broke several of them. To save money, I would skip the Holley and use a properly set-up Quadrajet. Better fuel economy and throttle response with lower cost. If you want one pre-built, consider getting one from Jet. It is competitively priced with the Holley, and flows between 750 and 800 cfm. The Quadrajet also gives better hood clearance. The RPM is a great intake and available as either a square flange or spread bore intake. I have never heard of anyone who does not like theirs. Also, if you use the Vortec heads you will need GM guided tip rockers, so be sure you get the right style. They also require center-bolt valve covers which are easily found in the junk yard. Another thing is they have a unique intake manifold bolt pattern that differs from the standard SBC pattern, it's more like a Windsor Ford. Be sure to get the right one and the right gaskets ( they are reusable) if you go this route. You also need to consider pushrods and if you require hardened ones or if stock style will do. If you need guideplates, they must be hardened.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if you want i'm selling a set of vortecs.
if you can afford it i'd go with the magnum rockers.
combination sounds good, you're gonna have fun!

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I wouldn't mess around with a Quadrajunk, if you are really concerned about gas mileage then go with a Holley spreadbore carb or buy a Honda. But I am sure if you were really concerned with gas mileage you wouldn't be trying to build a 400 hp engine.
Everything in your combo sounds good. I would probably go with DART Iron Eagles or even the aluminum DARTS.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would not mess with a Holley. They are the most worthless carb on the planet besides the Motorcraft VV. The best way to tune one is to smash it to pieces with a large sledgehammer so it doesn't ruin anyone else's life. I have never had one run well, they do not keep in tune, can't cold start, idle rich, have bad part throttle performance,etc. I HATE HOLLEYS!!!!!! Quadrajets on the other hand keep their tune, cold start well and are near optimal on anything running slower than the 10's when properly calibrated. It just takes a lot of time to set it up initially and you have to be more intelligent than some idiot who lives in a trailer park drinking cheap beer while changing engines using an old swing set. I equate the Holley 4 barrel with the Toyota Prius in terms of automotive things I hate the most. Both need to die. In fact, if you put the original designer of the Holley in a Prius and then set them both on fire, I would really enjoy seeing it. Justice served.

BTW, I own 4 Holleys: a 600, 650DP, and 2 750 vac sec carbs, so I speak from personal experience. None are on a running car, nor would I ever put one on one of my cars again. Worthless Garbage!

455OLDSMAN

Apprentice
Nov 8, 2007
Sounds like you should get rid of them to someone who knows how to tune them properly and buy more quadrajets since your good with those. I will be honest ive never messed with a quadrajet. Ive always just swapped it out for a holley when i went performance and havent had a problem.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If I knew someone around here who wanted to buy one off me, I would gladly sell them ( I won't ship stuff, too much of a PITA). I have one sitting on my AMC 360 right now, but plan on using an Edelbrock 600 when I swap the engine out. I have never had any problems with the Edelbrocks or Quadrajets that I could not easily sort out with a little bit of math or experimentation. The 360 always ran rich no matter what I did with jetting ( I could put the small wire in the idle feed passage to fix it, but don't want to) and it never got better than 12mpg. I understand Holleys very well and know their theory of operation, but they never work anywhere near as well as a Quadrajet in anything but a WOT situation. I keep lots of carbs on the shelf because I like to experiment a lot, and that way I always have a working part in an emergency.

79LT1Monte

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
Moscow Mills, Missouri
Your combo sounds good but I wouldn't run stamped rockers or a carb period. No matter what carb you run Holley or Q-Jet they are both going to need adjusting and tuning constantly. Save yourself the hassle and step into this century with a fuel injection swap. There are plenty of ways to get it done from cheap to bank breaking, but it's worth the time to at least look into it. Sorry guys don't mean to bash your carb argument but if you ask me there all junk!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
While I would tend to agree that EFI>Carb, the cost factor is why I run the carb. That and the simplicity of it. My whole fuel system from manifold to fuel pump to carb to lines and hoses, air filter, etc. set me back less than $200. That is hard to beat with EFI-especially in an engine that deviates from the flow rating of the stock injectors. I considered running a TPI intake and injectors I found on a 305 F body with a Megasquirt standalone EMS, but I could not make the numbers work for a car that sees only occasional use, which to me is less than 15k miles a year ( I drive 50k a year). A Quadrajet is the next best thing to EFI for precision and fuel economy blended with good acceleration and throttle response. My car would be better with EFI for a number of reasons such as the fuel slosh problem I have when driving fast around corners, but I can't justify the expense. For the cost of the EFI conversion, I could rid my G body of some of it's other useless parts that offend me much more. Things like the automatic transmission, 7.5 rear or seats that offer no support while cornering. I could even add a 150 shot of Nitrous or start gathering the parts to install an IRS in place of the less than ideal live rear axle that bounces around on bumpy corners.

coolchrisp

Apprentice
Nov 26, 2007
Grosse Ile, MI / Lima, OH
Quadrajets are trash my man. Good for stock to mild build. Other then that you cant get it right, and if you do it wont stay that way long. i would go with a holley/demon for your app. it will be MUCH more user friendly for you out of the box, with minor adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor