ENGINE TROUBLE - Ple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arok

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2006
Gainesville, Florida
If the car runs better with that vacuum line pinched, pull one end off and seal it with a screw. I don't think failure to recover exhaust gasses will cause an engine to run weak, but a vacuum leak will.

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
Well, I replaced the EGR this afternoon. The car is already doing ALOT better! I still have to do the PCV (tomorrow probably, it's too damn cold right now) and the vacuum line to the egr feels brittle. All my codes have cleared up EXCEPT #42, which is spark timing/distributor malignment of some sort. I also have the heater core project this weekend and a belt to replace, but my mechanic will be doing those because I live in an apartment complex where we aren't supposed to do heavy vehicle maintanance or change fluids. Basically, I try not to do anything which involves jacking up the car, and I think the PS belt will require raising the car. The heater core is self-explanatory. Hopefully I'll get this car really up and going right. Keep your fingers crossed!

Wes

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
Okay, the car is still at my brother-in-laws house, but should be up and running this afternoon sometime. The code #42 turned out to mean that the electronic spart timing sensor (diode? thingy?) had failed. If you're not familiar, it's under the distributer cap and controls "advance spark timing." Yeah, you got me. Again, my painful lack of mechanical knowledge and effective car jargon leaves me bruised. Anyways, it was a cheap part, about $20. Hopefully, that combined with the pcv and egr being replaced will get this car running like a champion again. And maybe I will be able to enjoy cabin heat with the new heater core, without the constant, nausiating smell of antifreeze. Oh happy day, oh happy day, when my mechanic took my troubles away!

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
I had my carburator adjusted today and the Bonneville seems to be running great! I'm still getting two codes, but I think when my brother-in-law worked on it he didn't disconnect the battery and clear them out. Anyways, for the first time in the whole time I've owned the car, everything seems to be okay. As soon as I get the rear end raised, I'll be putting it on cardomain.com. Thanks to all for your help!

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
Honestly I didn't know I could put pics here. I read I could, but then I never found the member picture pages. However, after I read this last post I decided to search around and find them. I have to say, we need the members pic page listed differently or set up different, because I've been posting here for weeks and looking for the pics all that time but couldn't find them. But I'd love to post here once I get some photos. My car won't even compare to most of the rides on here, but I guess every one makes the site that much better. Thanks for the info!

Wes

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Point taken, I'll see if I can't make those links a bit more obvious. They are kind of tucked in there. Thanks for the input! :)

grandbonnevillecreature

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Louisville, Kentucky
Cool! And by the way, I didn't mean to sound too critical. I sure as hell couldn't have built a site this cool. It's good to know that suggestions are welcome. I try to promote the use of this site when I visit cardomain and other car-related sites, because I like the setup here and the helpfulness of the responders. I do kind of wish people would stop picking on my wimpy V6, but I guess thats to be expected :wink:
I think I'm going to set up a charity for not-so-car-guys like myself, so the more affluent and knowlegable car guys can donate money or performance parts to me until I have a bonified racer. Somebody mails me a crate 350, somebody else a supercharger, NOS, some racing wheels, a shift kit for Christmas and a fuel cell for Channakah (I am willing to accept presents for whatever holiday you beleive in, even Quanza and Canadian Boxing Day) until I have the coolest Pontiac in the world! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
You know, I'm gonna stop now before you guys revoke my site membership!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor