Evil Locking Lug Nuts!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomss

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2010
This is basically a rant about the most simple-minded, poorly thought out, worthless, piece of s*** inventions out there. :evil: The genious who owned my Monte before me thought it would be a fantastic idea to put locking lug nuts on the aluminum wheels with what I'm guessing is either a jackhammer sized impact or with the help of king kong. Long story short, the stupid 3-blade "key" sheared right off after removing only 1 wheel. So I got creative, and pounded an old socket over the lug nut and they came right off...with the help of a 1/2" drive ratchet and 4 foot piece of tubing. Well, I feel better.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Damn. Coulda been worse. Glad you got the ****ers off lol.

o ARC ATHEISTxX

Greasemonkey
May 1, 2011
Los Angeles
That was easy. Doesn't beat the garbage lug nus they sell at my local tire shop. bought the car and it was missing 3 all around and i replaced them. when i went to a sponsored tire shop to get new rubber they had all fused with the studs cause they had to break all 3 off with the impact wrench. Just happy i didn't :evil: have my adapters on

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
This is why I hate having tires done anywhere. What if you had a flat tire along the road and you lug nuts are frozen on there :?: You are S.O.L. :!:

Anti-seize :mrgreen:

Speaking of wheel locking nuts ... I find it halarious when people come in and ask if we can sell them just a replacement removal socket for their lock nuts :lol: Really people? Sure and I'll sell it to the guy that comes in after you who is going to steal them too :lol:
We do, on the other hand, have a nice lock nut removal kit that we sell :idea:

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
hey, yours came off easy, be glad! i had a few when i was a mechanic that REALLY sucked to remove.

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
all vehicles should be fitted with regular not chrome plated non locking lug nuts and if wheels are bolt on style 034 motorsports stud correction kit should be purchased immediately.... <-- im a huge fan of things that dont fail or suck major :mrgreen:

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I used to know a guy years ago, He was pretty strong, could carry an all iron SBC (minus intake and accessories) across his yard. And every bolt that guy tightened (except stuff on the engine) he would crank as hard as he could.

I forget why, but I had him bolt some wheel on my car once. A week later I was driving and got a flat. Went to loosen the lug nuts and couldn't get them to budge. So I called him up and bitched at him for over tightening them, and made him come to where I was and break them loose.

85CutlassSalonRyder

Greasemonkey
Jun 4, 2011
Dallas,Texas
Phoenyx said:
I used to know a guy years ago, He was pretty strong, could carry an all iron SBC (minus intake and accessories) across his yard. And every bolt that guy tightened (except stuff on the engine) he would crank as hard as he could.

I forget why, but I had him bolt some wheel on my car once. A week later I was driving and got a flat. Went to loosen the lug nuts and couldn't get them to budge. So I called him up and bitched at him for over tightening them, and made him come to where I was and break them loose.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
man o man I had lost the socket for my locking lugs and had to use the autoshops sheared socket to get them off, pounded the socket on with a hammer and got em off real quick. I was really surprised on how loose they were!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor