Fuel Filter Change

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Not too long after getting my malibu, i changed out the metal type fuel filter that was installed between the mechanical fuel pump and carburetor for a see through glass type.

It was the mr gasket brand that has the silicon o-rings on the ends with the replaceable filter in between that you screw/twist together, since the car is not a daily driver, i'd drive it every sunday, weather permiting for a 20mile run, but before i do, i've always poped open the hood, start the engine and look for any leaks of any kind.

This morning as i poped open the hood and started the engine, i had a look around and low and behold, the filter housing was leaking a good amount on the end facing the carburetor, no doubt at the o-ring that fits between the end of the glass tube and the end cap that attaches to the fuel line hose, im thinking its because of the 10% ethenal 93 octane gasoline im using.

I've used the same exact mr gasket see through fuel filter back in the mid 90s on a different hotrod, not one single issue or leak, but we had straight gasoline and none of this ethenol crap like we have today, its just too bad we cant have straight up non ethenol 94octane available to use in my 10:1 ZZ4 engine, so i'd like to ask, which would be prefered as a replacement, see through plastic type or the full metal type, and do i have anything to worry about like heat soak during the summer time with the metal filter type?

So im ditching the mr gasket clear view one for good, and I do carry a small fire extinguisher in the car at all times, so if something were to happen, it shouldnt be too much of an issue to deal with.

What i was using and now ditching/mr gastet clearview(pic1), plastic one/wix 33003(pic2) and all metal one/wix 33033(pic3).

Attachments

• clearview filter.jpg
    clearview filter.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 11
  • see through filter.jpg
    see through filter.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 6
  • metel fuel filter.jpg
    metel fuel filter.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 8

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The metal one would be better. But construction is important. Personally, I'd go with metal line from the pump to the carb, and if you just had to have an external filter, get one that you can thread a metal line into on either side.

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
It did have the metal type fuel filter when i got the car, i removed it because i had no idea how long its been installed, could have been EOL and restrictive.

I had a metal line comming from the OEM style mechanical fuel pump that was on the engine prier, but i switched it out for an aftermarket carter 6psi aluminum mechanical fuel pump that uses seperate barb/pipe fittings that rubber fuel hose attaches too.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I've run the see thru glass since 2012 when I finished my off-frame. Never a leak regardless of fuel used. I prefer to see how dirty it is vs the metal (can't see what's inside ) or the plastic which seems to be getting thinner materiel.

Attachments

• Filter&CheckValve.jpg
    Filter&CheckValve.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 11

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I used to run the glass ones because I like being able to see what's going on inside, but purchased a stainless filter in a billet housing from Snake Eater Performance for my Elco. Everyone I know that has this style/ brand is happy and say it's much better than the sintered bronze or paper type since it flows very well and can be cleaned, and won't melt or crack. Plus you can open it up to see inside any time you want. I have not ran it yet so can't give a personal opinion.

Screenshot_20240422-212636~2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I used to run the glass ones because I like being able to see what's going on inside, but purchased a stainless filter in a billet housing from Snake Eater Performance for my Elco. Everyone I know that has this style/ brand is happy and say it's much better than the sintered bronze or paper type since it flows very well and can be cleaned, and wont't melt or crack. Plus you can open it up to see inside any time you want. I have not ran it yet so can't give a personal opinion.

View attachment 238311
I have one similar to this up under the back of my car under the trunk floor right off the tank. I remove the sock off the pickup so I never have to drop the tank, and use a filter like this to catch anything else.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
I went ahead and bought the metal can filter(wix 33033) and will install it this weekend... figure i'll take apart the mr gasket clearview filter, clean it up, replace the filter and give it another go, either the ethenal ate up the 0-ring or maybe the ends just needed tightening, i'll keep it as a spare though.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I like to put the filter between the frame hardline and the fuel pump. Keeps any risk of leaks down low off the engine. I had a friend that had the glass one leak up on top of the engine, so ever since then, I've always thought about the what if's.....

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I like to put the filter between the frame hardline and the fuel pump. Keeps any risk of leaks down low off the engine. I had a friend that had the glass one leak up on top of the engine, so ever since then, I've always thought about the what if's.....
The old adage "suck stainless, push paper" doesn't say anything about the plastic filter elements in these Clear Views, so which do you suppose is better? I always went with "push" and I've never had a plastic one fall to pieces, nor have I seen one collapse but I'm curious.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
The old adage "suck stainless, push paper" doesn't say anything about the plastic filter elements in these Clear Views, so which do you suppose is better? I always went with "push" and I've never had a plastic one fall to pieces, nor have I seen one collapse but I'm curious.
I haven't heard that saying, so I guess I've been successfully doing it wrong for 30 years. Heard way too many stories of engine fires from filters up by the carb.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor