gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

81iraqitaxi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2013
ontario, canada
so at the moment my gas level gage isn't working great, it will fluctuate about half a tank, which can get a little stressfull :rofl:
so I was wondering a couple things, first off, should it be able to be fixed by changing the float and secondly how do you change the float and will it be an easy job?
next does anyone know how many litres the gas tank can hold.
my car is a 1981 chevy Malibu by the way.
thanks!

RynoC23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2012
Florida
2 out of the 3 Montes that I have had, had an issue with the fuel gauge (and only the fuel gauge) not reading correctly as well. Both however were very sporadic and both ended up being what is referred to as the "pressed circuit" in the dash. All of the gauges and bulbs work off of a flimsy, basically "laminated" circuit. The "laminate" began to split open in different areas and the gauge pretty much did what ever the hell it wanted do at anytime it wanted. Really no rhyme or reason to what the gauge was doing, in both cases it was just the fuel gauges that were affected. Pretty easy to see what kind of shape they are in as well by just removing the cluster out of the dash. Only tricky parts that you need to pay attention to is taking the gear selector apart and disconnecting the speedo cable from the speedometer. Still not very hard though. Just my 2 cents anyway and a little bit of insight. I guess I would really try and see if there is much of a pattern to when and where the gauge starts messing up. If it is sporadic and really no pattern to when it's not reading correctly, my advice would be to see what kind of shape the pressed circuit is in. Best of luck ~R~

Attachments

• pressed circuit.jpg
    pressed circuit.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 460
  • dash1.jpg
    dash1.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 1,104

81iraqitaxi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2013
ontario, canada
Ya mine just reads what ever it wants..yesturday it was reading half a tank so i filled it up and now its reading empty lol so ya i guess ill chevk out the gage.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor