Got A Question About A Dodge, Dont Hate Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
Ok guys i need yer help here. My dad used the 4wd in his truck for the first time since winter last weekend and apparently theres a clunking noise whenever he turns to the right in 4wd. He told me that him and his friend think it might be the original 6yr old shocks binding up or something like that, but we do know it could possibly be the u-joints on the front axle. Hmm, thats odd, my uncle replaced those last year. Either its the 6yr old shocks binding up, or the u-joints were either done wrong or cheap. The truck is a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins. Its solid axle front and back with coil springs up front. Help me out cause he wont let me take it mud boggin until it gets fixed! lol!

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
check all the steering components, dodges arn't known to have the best front suspension especially on diesels. sounds like u-joints or pinion bearings maybe.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
Dennyboy said:
check all the steering components, dodges arn't known to have the best front suspension especially on diesels. sounds like u-joints or pinion bearings maybe.

yeah lol i can relate with the whole front suspension thing on that truck like when hes goin down the highway whenever he touches the steering wheel it leans a bit. yeah i think its just because of the design tho its the quad control arm type deal and its really touchy. oh and yeah i bet the fact that the cummins weighs 1100lbs doesnt help either lol

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Shocks should have nothing to do with binding. It sounds like you have a bad axle joint, lift the front of the truck up in the air, turn the wheel to the right, and spin the tire (by hand, lol). Watch the joint for any play, in some cases the wheel will try to straighten itself if the joint is bound up, do this on both sides, turning the wheel both to the left and right. A little bit of "crow hop" is normal on a solid axle truck in 4wd on dry pavement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor