Homemade Engine Test Stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what's the purpose of an engine test stand if you don't have the equipment to read what the engine is doing....I had a friend of mine who used a front clip and set it on wheels for an engine test stand...he would test the neighbors to see how pissed they'd get with the open headers..

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
86 maroon gp 2+2 said:
lol josh good to see that your looking ahead for when we get this thing pulled :twisted:

Yep, you know how i am lol.

pontiacgp said:
what's the purpose of an engine test stand if you don't have the equipment to read what the engine is doing....I had a friend of mine who used a front clip and set it on wheels for an engine test stand...he would test the neighbors to see how pissed they'd get with the open headers..

You just gotta love them open headers man. But anyway if i were to rig a test stand i would definitely incorporate the necessary gauges, such as oil pressure, coolant temp, and a tach. I wouldnt want to blow up a motor over something that simple.

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
im not sure what all you have up your sleeve, but the world economy is built on convenience... and this is one of those situations where you gotta ask yourself... should i just buy a stand

besides my lazy dont want to bolt something that explodes 20000 times a minute to a bit of wood opinion... here in redneck country, if we want to see if the motor will just turn over and run just for buyers sake, we just run fuel to it sitting on a tire, **** the coolant and oil, its only gotta run for less than a second and most people dont need it to run at all, just turn it over to make sure it has compression

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
dream on mcss said:
FE3X CLONE said:
I have one of those cheap engine stand holding a 260 Olds engine right now. I hardly trust it with that thing let alone actually running an engine. Those things are EXTREMELY flimsy!

Well i wouldnt doubt it, it looks kinda cheap, but if i welded a few steel bars on the sides and one on the bottom, itd probably be rigid enough.

The proof is in the pudding...check out my youtube video of my homemade test stand with my 350 on it...Just so ya know...those engine cradles dont work well without a lot of modification with an Olds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiHFaiTU ... ll&list=WL

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
bill said:
dream on mcss said:
FE3X CLONE said:
I have one of those cheap engine stand holding a 260 Olds engine right now. I hardly trust it with that thing let alone actually running an engine. Those things are EXTREMELY flimsy!

Well i wouldnt doubt it, it looks kinda cheap, but if i welded a few steel bars on the sides and one on the bottom, itd probably be rigid enough.

The proof is in the pudding...check out my youtube video of my homemade test stand with my 350 on it...Just so ya know...those engine cradles dont work well without a lot of modification with an Olds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiHFaiTU ... ll&list=WL

Nice test stand Bill, looks good. Great job too on the 350 Rocket, sounds pretty damn good to me!

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Thanks... After watching a few YouTube vids and buying a dvd on homemade test stands, I decided to build one. Im gonna weld one out of tubing one day that will be universal so I can start building engines and selling them already broken in and ready to install. My biggest mistake was not having enough cooling for the engine at the initial start up. Gotta have a good fan on the radiator, not just a p.o.s. fan from the local hardware store...lol. Motors in, hoods on, bumper and header are on, only issues remaining are installing the trans, the new cable, and the new shifter, the pw steering pump brackets and cleaning out the gas tank and lines.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
bill said:
Thanks... After watching a few YouTube vids and buying a dvd on homemade test stands, I decided to build one. Im gonna weld one out of tubing one day that will be universal so I can start building engines and selling them already broken in and ready to install. My biggest mistake was not having enough cooling for the engine at the initial start up. Gotta have a good fan on the radiator, not just a p.o.s. fan from the local hardware store...lol. Motors in, hoods on, bumper and header are on, only issues remaining are installing the trans, the new cable, and the new shifter, the pw steering pump brackets and cleaning out the gas tank and lines.

Sounds like its coming along well. And about the test stand, we have one in our shop for my auto tech class with a 350 sbc on it. Id take pics but school is out so i cant until september. Its a nice stand though it has an outboard gas can and a radiator with an electric shroud fan. Its a nice setup but they never run the 350 though. It just sits there, which kinda sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor