Hurst Olds Lightning Rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009
Id buy them for around 350 as long as there complete and work nicely.

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
Shift knobs would be nice as well.I have a nice set but I have thought about what they would look like in red or white or with script.

Thoughts?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I might be interested as long as EVERY SINGLE part needed to do a factory-like conversion was available for the right price. If the price is anywhere what they are for originals and/or one would need to go out searching for some rare hard to find part to make the conversion complete then I personally would lose alot of interest.

Also, I've heard the originals were glitchy and prone to jamming/breaking. If this 'feature' was still present it would again kill any enthusiasium I might otherwise have.

So if I could get a COMPLETE conversion set for a fair price and they're not going to jam up/break all the time, I would most likely be interested in a set.

P.S. I personally don't care if they were exact H/O duplicates. I would just want them to look cool, function properly and have that perfect 'factory fit'.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
littlerascle59 said:
Is the only difference between the 3 & 4 speeds, the detent brackets on the side?
IMG_4065.png

Quite a bit of difference actually

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
84cutlass383 said:
r the top plates ready now?

Ill be totally honest. I had them made by a USA mfg and they are taking forever to get a small issue solved with a warping of the plastic. It's frustrating. I will keep working at it.

baddies

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 15, 2010
i am very interested. But as stated before i would want a complete set/kit everything needed to swap it over.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
littlerascle59 said:
Is the only difference between the 3 & 4 speeds, the detent brackets on the side?
IMG_4065.png
Nope, the cam is different as well.
You could have your's drilled though, the 1 and 2 holes will need to be moved a full position.

DoubleV said:
Also, I've heard the originals were glitchy and prone to jamming/breaking. If this 'feature' was still present it would again kill any enthusiasium I might otherwise have.
Hence why Hurst discontinued them, too many were needing service and liablity reasons...
They won't even rebuild them for you anymore.
If the shift cable or shift linkage is not moving freely and there's excessive ware in the square pin channels on the levers you can get into a big mess when the detent pins/springs don't do their job from moving the levers too quickly...
You can wind up skipping a shift up shifting from 1st to 2nd and be stuck in 1st gear with the lever forward in the 2nd postion.
The button will not go down because the cam pops back into first and at 6,000 RPM's you can blow a motor.
This can also happen shifting from 2nd to 3rd.
Happened to me three times so far... frikin scary.
One time I got lucky because I didn't have the console in the car in my '86 Salon and could just move the shift lever with my finger from 2nd to 3rd to get the cam back into the proper positon, another time I did this drag racing on the street in my '88 and had to pull over and litterally tear into my console to fix it and the third time in my '84 Calais I was not so lucky... wound up bending a valve or push rod in my 350 :x and was forced to install a 455 :lol:

Any ware in the square pin channels on the levers and these shifters are JUNK, you can't replace levers without gamblin on buying and sorting through other shifters.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor