Status
Not open for further replies.

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
88hurstolds said:
littlerascle59 said:
Is the only difference between the 3 & 4 speeds, the detent brackets on the side?
IMG_4065.png
Nope, the cam is different as well.
You could have your's drilled though, the 1 and 2 holes will need to be moved a full position.

DoubleV said:
Also, I've heard the originals were glitchy and prone to jamming/breaking. If this 'feature' was still present it would again kill any enthusiasium I might otherwise have.
Hence why Hurst discontinued them, too many were needing service and liablity reasons...
They won't even rebuild them for you anymore.
If the shift cable or shift linkage is not moving freely and there's excessive ware in the square pin channels on the levers you can get into a big mess when the detent pins/springs don't do their job from moving the levers too quickly...
You can wind up skipping a shift up shifting from 1st to 2nd and be stuck in 1st gear with the lever forward in the 2nd postion.
The button will not go down because the cam pops back into first and at 6,000 RPM's you can blow a motor.
This can also happen shifting from 2nd to 3rd.
Happened to me three times so far... frikin scary.
One time I got lucky because I didn't have the console in the car in my '86 Salon and could just move the shift lever with my finger from 2nd to 3rd to get the cam back into the proper positon, another time I did this drag racing on the street in my '88 and had to pull over and litterally tear into my console to fix it and the third time in my '84 Calais I was not so lucky... wound up bending a valve or push rod in my 350 :x and was forced to install a 455 :lol:

Any ware in the square pin channels on the levers and these shifters are JUNK, you can't replace levers without gamblin on buying and sorting through other shifters.
Sorry don't mean to hijack your thread Toby.
But 88 is this the piece you're referring to as the cam?
5411573A-BBF7-44AE-9187-9726E6133A4F-9633-000007C0615EB452.jpg

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
I would be interested in a full conversion kit. I currently have a 3 speed trans, but I do not have a problem with buying one of your 4 speed kits to help support your cause

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I had mine since July and the main rod's pin snapped in half back in October.... Luckily the car was in the garage because of steering column inssues. Since then I had a buddy reweld the two pieces together (factory welded them new) and the shifter received a cosmetic restoration. Now I'm waiting for another pin to break eventually. I think they're a love/hate relationship because they're so cool looking but they're also pieces of hanky at the same time.
8222202931_e18c04822e_z.jpg

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
Minion1186 said:
I had mine since July and the main rod's pin snapped in half back in October.... Luckily the car was in the garage because of steering column inssues. Since then I had a buddy reweld the two pieces together (factory welded them new) and the shifter received a cosmetic restoration. Now I'm waiting for another pin to break eventually. I think they're a love/hate relationship because they're so cool looking but they're also pieces of hanky at the same time.
8222202931_e18c04822e_z.jpg
Yeah I haven't installed my Lightning Rods in my car yet but when I first got'em I just played with'em to see how they work and the main issue was that you had to FULLY push the buttons down before you move the levers.if not, you'll basically be pushing the pins against the detent brackets. Do that enough times or trying to force the levers to move and the pins will break. Yeah like you said they're cool to have and all but they do come with their problems. Hopefully Toby and his design team will modify them slightly to possibly resolve that issue.

gbgn1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 7, 2008
Houston
Me too want one for one of my Buicks estimated arrival?

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
gbgn1 said:
Me too want one for one of my Buicks estimated arrival?

will be testing samples in March

iam2fast4u86

Greasemonkey
Jan 8, 2009
SE Ohio
Count me in as subscribed! I am looking for 2 sets of these-1 for my olds and the other for my wifes Monte. I made the mistake of showing her what I was putting in the Olds and she has to have one now too. Also if you need a "test vehicle" let me know. lol :mrgreen:

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
I'm happy to see them being remade,The ones you can find now are wore out and people think they are made of gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor