Improving the exsisting engine performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

9a pilot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 20, 2011
904 area code
LS1GN said:
I don't think using a quart of oil every 2000 miles is "in spec"

Put a cheap turbo on there, maybe that will compensate for the poor flowing heads and small valves.
By 'in spec', It wouldn't have rated warranty work in 1984.
A turbo would be kinda cool if it had the rest of the SEFI GN stuff to go with it.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Might look for a 4.1(no replacement for displacement). Not sure if later 3800 series heads or roller cam stuff will work. There is a lot of stuff that crosses over for the V6Turbo and Range Rover engines. I know Edelbrock offers an intake manifold for the 4 barrel. If you take the heads off for the thinner head gasket swap, might check into bigger valves, quality valve job, maybe go as far as pocket porting and blending the bowls. Been a while since I have had the valve covers off of one, but, I am pretty sure they are of the non-adjustable variety, that will cause a headache with the cam swap, but, if you use a stock roller, I bet the lifters and pushrods would be pretty close....the trick is the 3800's have no distributor, hmmm, thats drives off the cam...?

Free flowing exhaust, or at least of bigger diameter, same with the cat. K&N air filter. Anything that makes it easier to move air and fuel makes more performance and efficiency. S-10 rear gear set will make it feel snappier.

Best bang for your buck would probably be a small nitrous system.

X2 on trying to double the output of a motor. 80 horses extra out of a 100 HP motor is a stretch.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
You could have alot of fun with this build. I'm always a v8 guy but after seeing a guy with a street driven turbo GN at the track thursday lay down a 9.07 I want to play with one.

Here's what I would do in your situation, I would mill the heads down to raise the compression one point, for your cam situation even though you do reduce friction loss you do get more than that, reliabilty, increase in power cause of less friction, and faster revs. Your going to need to call a cam company to get this made it will have to be custom ground but it can be converted with the tecnoligy we have. Just don't expect it to be cheap.

Do a little bit of head work, throw on roller rockers, 4.1 intake then get a FI system and turbo this thing! Would be lots of fun, fast, and realiable. Or if your set on getting the GN stuff for a turbo have you ever considered going centrifical supercharger route? Like getting one for a SBC and modifying the mounting bracket to fit the V6. Haven't seen anybody do it so it would be pretty cool to see.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
9a pilot said:
LS1GN said:
Put a cheap turbo on there, maybe that will compensate for the poor flowing heads and small valves.
By 'in spec', It wouldn't have rated warranty work in 1984.
A turbo would be kinda cool if it had the rest of the SEFI GN stuff to go with it.

Doesn't need to be sequential - can be batch fired like the good old days

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Build for torque. My suggestions:
-3.42 gears
-200-4R + 2200 stall
-Stock long block
-Holley ProJection 670cfm with closed loop kit.
-Centrifugal supercharger
-Headers

OR

Just drop in a Buick 350 for half the cost and end up with more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor